Friday, December 19, 2008

First Paragraphs of My Book

I tried to work on my book. I didn't get very far. I have been too sad. I'm working on the OIG complaint tonight. I guess I'll write the only part I was able to write, before quitting. Here it is:

"I am going to tell you a story. Once, I was a Queen. I stood up over the Pacific Ocean as the earth shifted under seaweed waters, and rising with another crown, was a sister with lava under her feet and the moon in her hand. I was born the same day my mother died, and my father ran to the other side, to forget his past, to forget the lilies in her hair which he placed with her last breath. I grew with no memory of my parents but found the salt she kept in the bath, when I was two, and my nana read a note out loud, which had been attached:

Do you not know? How much I love you? I am with you in the breeze and the morning clime; the salt is for good luck.

My nana quit reading, looked at me, and tossing salt over one shoulder, she threw it over mine as well. I glittered that night, when the moon came out and reflected off of the sea. My sister looked at me and smiled. I want to be just like you, she said, and wrapped her arms around my waist, giving me the moon. I held it high that night, just two, with my baby sister at my feet."

That's as far as I got, which isn't far at all. I had no vision to write further. Maybe I will try to pick it up again or maybe it dies here, on that note. It's a fragment at this point. Just a piece of glass.

No comments: