Tuesday, December 9, 2008

music today and the blessing and curse of an artist

hahaa. I love this. Wham's video for "Wake Me Up (before you go-go)". I love the "Choose Life" shirts, and the 80s shorts and hat with ear-flaps. What started me laughing was watching the beginning, where George Michael is dancing and then dives into the crowd. That's where we got moshing and crowd surfing?!? Hahaha. I love this song. And the glow-in-the-dark scenes. Haha. The part with the glow-in-the-dark lips that say, "And do the jitterbug". I remember, sadly, the glow-in-the-dark craze and had a ton of jelly bracelets that I stacked on my arm, which were glow-in-the-dark.

Oh very nice. I'm onto "Faith" and of course, the butt is a focal point in the opening scene. Haaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I love the way George Michael dances, even with a guitar. I wish I could get into HIS gay club scene. haha. Love it.

I did listen to "Nights in White Satin" and some other 60s stuff earlier. Zepplin's "Stairway to Heaven" which almost made me cry, several times, and also "Imagine" by Lennon. I've always liked that video, of the opening of the shutters around the windows, to illuminate the room. Very beautiful and in sync with the lyrics.

I can't help it though, for pick me up stuff, I go for 80s. I'm listening to "Freedom" now. It's one song I vividly remember from childhood. I could hear this one over and over.

My favorite part is where it bridges. "I think there's something you should KNOW...I think it's time I told you SO/there's something deep inside of me, there's someone else I got to be!/take back your picture in the frame, take back your singing in the rain/I just hope you understand, sometimes the clothes do not make the man...Allll we have to do now, is take these lies and make them true somehow. All we have to seeeeee, is that I don't belong to YOU and you don't belong to ME! Yeah yeah! Freedom! I won't let you down. Freedom! I won't give you up..."

I like the twirling models in the video too, and Linda Evangelista lip syncing to "heaven knows I was just a young boy, didn't know what I wanted to be".

Such a good anthem song. Really like the drums in this too. Or bongos or whatever. But I guess it's really all the rhythm instruments working together, with the bass under the bongo and the piano carrying the rhythmic melody at the top. Then those little synth sounds that remind me of a guy getting out of a pimped out 70s low rider, in a cowboy hat. Or like some kind of Seinfeld or cop show jingle. You can hear it when the piano trills down the scales and then quits, leaving the other instruments to carry on. This would be a really fun song to sing loud. I don't think my voice could carry it well enough, and you really need a choir or a crowd backing you on the chorus.

THAT's WHAT YOU GET, that's what you get, that's what you get--for changing your mind. Great. I can't imagine anyone daring to try to cover this one.

I'm back to stuff I already know. Tracy Chapman. Fast Car.

I liked Bjork yesterday and was fascinated by Cocoon, but it went too deep. She is a profound and unique artist. Not many like her. "that a boy like you, (fell) for a girl like me." I wonder if she has a difficult time finding her soulmate, she's so different. It's hard to tell when you're famous though. The minute people know you have a gift, you're treated differently and an artist is not just about their gift. I've noticed this treatment, when I was younger, and my father notices it...every artist does. You're just treated like anyone else until someone finds out you have something special, and then people are all over you. It's hard to know who likes you for you and who just likes you for your gift or the idea of being associated with you because of it.

Listening to "Talking About A Revolution" now. This one brings tears to my eyes. Watch her perform this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rZbvi6Tj6E&feature=related. Look at her. That face and the sincerity, and it's like she hasn't sung it a million times. Just her and the guitar too. And her voice is perfect, without any enhancements. "Telling Stories" is a great one.

No comments: