Friday, December 19, 2008

Oliver Sick From Immunizations (Aug. 23, 2006)

I deleted some parts of the email. I am only including the parts where I tell Dr. Butler what is wrong with Oliver since his bad 2-month vaccinations and I express concern about autism.


RE: Oliver, IBD, Migraine, Liability
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:49 PM
From:
"loree baird"
Add sender to Contacts
To:
"Malcolm Butler"


Also, I do intend to have him immunized. I just want to delay until he seems better and then do one shot at a time. Lately, he's been under the weather. He's had a stuffy nose/upper resp.tract infect. for a couple weeks and still, as was evident today, has diarrhea. Lately it hasn't been totally liquid though, but it comes out smelling pretty bad, is a little greenish, and in consistency is sort of a cross between creamed peas and very wet whipped cream frosting. Yum. It's just not normal yet. And he really seemed under the weather today, sleeping more and wanting to be held a lot instead of playing on the ground with me.

I got the vaccine info from a woman I met who is from Scotland. She's not a hippie, she used to be a police officer in Scotland until a few years ago. She had to have the Hep B shot for her job and went into cephaleptic (ancephaleptic??) shock with seizures after first dose. They didn't believe her at first and then she had a seizure. She hasn't immunized her daughter at ALL. If I had done my research, I wouldn't have had Oliver immunized against Hep B as an infant bc it's transmitted through needles and unprotected sex (or blood) and I don't think he's at risk. I just found out from my mother that she didn't have ME immunized until I had to go to school (in Washington state) at around age 5. Then I got a bunch of shots at a free-shots clinic (not welfare, just free). And still, she didn't allow them to give me live polio vaccine, though I got it later (dead) as an adult. My parents' first baby died three days after he was born, and the doctors said he had a comprised immune system (would be sort of like the boy in the bubble); he died from an infection or virus. So, I think my parent's did not want to take risks with us, when we were so little. I think, from what I've read, that waiting until Oliver is older and has a stronger immune system, is the best course, although I am open to an occasional shot here and there if the diarrhea goes away before he's going to school.



Malcolm Butler wrote:

Noted.

The human organism is too complex to understand fully. The best I can do is to rely on the best science I can find for what is known, and then on common sense and good judgment for everything else, and then I live with the consequences. As a mother you need to do the same thing, and also get to live with the consequences.

Who is this Oliver person, I thought it was Oscar?

I got your written note today. I will review. It is OK with me for you to pick up Rx prior to Labor Day. I just need to figure out how to make that happen. Which pharmacy did you use with your last prescription?

Malcolm Butler M.D.
Malcolm Butler M.D.
Medical Director
Columbia Valley Community Health
(509) 662-6000
mbutler@cvch.org

Practice the science of medicine as a team, practice the art of medicine as individuals.

-----Original Message-----
From: loree baird [mailto:loree_baird@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:36 PM
To: Malcolm Butler
Subject: Oliver, IBD, Migraine, Liability

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammatory_bowel_disease

Dr. Butler,

What I'm thinking is that, if, according to this article, it is true that IBD is caused by an overactive immune system reaction...couldn't it be possible that an infant's immature system may sometimes overload with so many foreign substances/vaccines such as MMR and then become disabled to some degree?

All I know, is that I had no concerns about immunizations before Oliver's 2 month shots, and I noticed a very serious and drastic deviation in his normal stool pattern. Again, he went from 5-6 normal looking stools a day to severe diarrhea and then alternate constipation/diarrhea that has not subsided. Just today, he finally pooped after 4 days of no poop at all, and it was obscene, foul, in stench and quantity and although it wasn't liquid as it's been the last few weeks, it was a mucky mess (maybe different somewhat because Oliver had some formula when I took more Oxycodone/morphine for migraine). At any rate, I know you are already thinking about next time, if his weight doesn't improve...but in the meantime, I've shot out a couple of articles and gave you that book on loan to flip through if you wanted to know where I was coming from. And I do want to examine the batch of vaccines that Oliver received so whenever that info is available, I'll pick it up.

Also, my diet hasn't changed in any way. It really was the shots. It's mother's intuition if not logic. I just hope it goes away. And I hope Oliver doesn't develop autism.

Finally, I used more Oxycodone for the migraines than I would for routine pelvic pain which means I'm going to be short this week. Not planned. I haven't had a migraine since maybe the 7th or 8th month of pregnancy and thought it had abated bc of breastfeeding. But the whopper came on strong after 2 days and even after the morphine, I still had residual migraine today which finally went away (thank goodness). I'm going to use the pool therapy and if I can get a prescription for chiro/massage therapy as well, I'll use it. I think this last migraine was brought on by stress and who knows, maybe I'm ovulating even if I don't have a period and this is bringing them back, or making me more susceptible to triggers. I'd like to be able to pick up my new prescription earlier or be alloted maybe 5 more oxys to make up for the "binge" (as you know, I try to take more along with flexeril and other stuff to make it go away before morphine is necessary).

Thanks for everything. I think you already know I am not a negligent parent and that I should not have to worry about someone thinking this bc of my stance on vaccines for Oliver at this time. If you feel you need further proof, let me know what I can do, aside from giving you my entire life story to appease the assumptions that naturally come with the "free ride" of a welfare mama.

Not angry, by the way, just on my toes, even in the pit of the dregs of society. You don't know until you've walked a mile in another man's (woman's) moccasins.

And I don't think you will be liable for anything.
Cameo

No comments: