Friday, December 19, 2008

Oliver's First Tooth (August 24, 2006)

Flag this message
Oliver First Tooth and Fat Observations
Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:31 PM
From:
"loree baird"
Add sender to Contacts
To:
eaglelaw@qwest.net, dick.whittemore@bullivant.com, dslader@spiritone.com
Oliver's first cut tooth was discovered this morning by me.
It's not in the front on the bottom as usual, but in the back on the bottom. It's an incisor but close to molars...may be a fang. I KNEW it. He's been drooling for
a month, though he's cutting teeth pretty early (as I said, all milestones have been early with him). I ran my finger around his gums several times this a.m., which he thoroughly enjoyed, and felt a little sharp point and exclaimed out loud, "You have a TOOTH!" It was like I had discovered a new planetary system. Oliver just smiled. Probably glad that at last we could talk about what was bothering him. I had to buy him something to celebrate so we went toy shopping.
People still seem to be startled by him, commenting on his muscular legs, his bright and alert eyes, smiles, and responses. He makes a lot of people smile. But bc I subscribe to "attachment parenting" he is very bonded to me and will not stand to have me out of sight for long. The books say infants don't have object permanence or separation anxiety until 6 months but Oliver's had it since 2 months and he is fully aware of what's going on. People notice he talks a lot. I encourage him to talk even when he's not happy, so instead of crying, sometimes he'll just talk in an unhappy tone with grunts, little sighs and exclamations. He says "mam" for mama and "hi" and I think I've heard him trying to say I love you. He uses constanants along with vowels in sounds, and has been squealing since 2 months or earlier. I narrarate everything and listen to him and imitate the sounds he makes as he imitates mine. As for his growth, I'm wondering if baby massage has something to do with it. I do this with Oliver. As for me, I'm not losing any weight at all. Never in my life have I dieted and I've always been skinny and not even by choice. Now, I'm stuck, literally, at 170 lbs with 38 DD boobs. The thing is, nursing is killing me bc I express everything and I'm exhausted and I want to quit soon but I know it's good for Oliver and then I think, too, vainly, that if I quit while I'm 170 lbs I'll just be fat AND flat. At least I have some proportion this way. But I never knew how lucky I was to have my body type until I lost it. Frankly, I think, if you really want to sacrifice for the sake of the baby's health and do everything for the baby, your body is going to the crapper. Is it worth it? Yes. To me, it is. I know I'm fat, and I sort of care, but I'm not depressed about it. I guess I'm still riding on the reassurances and comforts of having had a great body for as long as I did. It's like laying down the mantle or something. You know you really WERE something else at one time, and now that time has passed, and you're okay with it. Oh, wait, is that "aging gracefully?" Well, I'm still going to try to kick it in the ass when I can, but yesterday I gave in, just for the day. I ate normal proportions of food now and walk and nurse and yet no weight comes off. Totally weird. So, I just bought myself a big box of donuts. Really cheap ones. Raspberry filled powered sugar donuts. A box of 6. I ate 4 last night while I expressed milk (I have to do something to distract myself from the misery) and 2 today. I've gone to the mommy playgroups and library storytelling times and the mothers all look like me, or I look like them. We're all stuck in mommy bodies. Hot babes every one of us, in our day, and if you look closely enough, you can understand how all of us ever attracted a man to begin with. And most of the men stick around, riding along with the weight, faithful and true. I used to think it was laziness or bad eating habits that made people pudgy, but now I know. Sometimes, control is not the issue. There is one "hot mom" in the whole group of us that travel the circuit, and she looks like she has a personal trainer and goes to the gym everyday for 3 hours. Oh, and then there's the totally discusting but gorgeous mom I saw one day, rollerblading while pushing a stroller, with her husband rollerblading and about 3 of their spawn rollerblading, and she's tall and has legs like Stephanie Seymour and is blond and wearing a sports bra that shows off her six pack. Sick. If you ask me.
Well that's all.

No comments: