Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On Seizures and My Possible History of Seizure

Hello again! I have recently remembered some different things about my history and my family's medical history. I don't know why I didn't think about these things before, but oh well...

I recently remembered sleepwalking runs in my family and that migraines do as well. And they're related. I mean, if you do one you have higher odds of doing the other. Also, they're hereditary or the chances increase with heredity. So, I had this epiphany and then I was looking up sleepwalking and migraine stuff again, and saw these problems are also linked to SEIZURES and epilepsy.

I was curious, and read that people who sleepwalk and/or have migraines also have seizures or epilepsy more often, or are more susceptible or prone to it. So I decided to look up seizures and epilepsy and the miraculous thing is, the symptoms of a particular kind, exactly fit the symptoms I was trying to describe.

Not only that, I read that having lower levels of certain nutrients or minerals can trigger seizures in those not typically prone.

And THEN, I was able to recall having some early signs of susceptibility to seizure, all the way back in high school. But it went undetected, even though I did go to a doctor about it and was told it sounded like seizures. I was embarrassed to think I had "seizures" because I had seen what someone looked like, in the middle of ONE kind of seizure, and they were practically passed out and out of control. That wasn't my indicator, but I have been reading there are different kinds of seizures.

My symptoms, going back to high school, which were witnessed by my old best friend Monica Allen, were feeling suddenly nauseous, dizzy, and faint, and I would start uncontrollably, to drool. I didn't throw up, it was just pools and pools of drool and I couldn't stop it. I couldn't see very well and I couldn't move because I was so dizzy, and I had diarrhea from it.

Monica was very alarmed but I figured it had something to do with my very low body weight, because I had almost no percentage of fat on my body. I was 5 feet 4 and 105pounds of solid muscle from cross-country running (at school and then I'd practice at home), track, and cheerleading. I also had a very low-fat diet. So I just wondered if it had something to do with that. But when I had gone to a doctor, or talked to someone over the phone, and talked with the school nurse (because it happened at school too), they said it sounded like a mini-seizure.

They started at about age 15, at least that's when THOSE symptoms started. But again, I heard "seizure" and thought it made me sound like a freak, and I put it out of my mind. They subsided when I was out of high school, after I had to quit running almost professionally, because I broke my knee when I was 18 and had to quit. That's about the time the strange symptoms quit. I had only ONE episode after that, until possibly what happened when I lived in the orchard location, and that was in about 1998, and I was at work, at the Rabbi Rose's house.

I had just left the house and suddenly got extremely dizzy, nauseous, and saliva was pooling out of my mouth uncontrollably. I had to go to the bathroom and staggered over to the nearest house, which belonged to a lawyer. There house was the residence for two gay lawyers for Portland, and they were the ones who had this beautiful area rug of Samson and Delilah and they'd wanted me to work for them but Lorraine, the Rabbi's wife told me no, she needed me to be on call for her.

But their house was closest and I was hunched over, and knocked on their door and told them I was sick and could I please use their bathroom? The guy let me in and I was in the restroom for a while but first rushed to the sink and bent over and started drooling into the sink, which must have been strange to the man. I was so dizzy and sick and I wasn't throwing up, it was just clear drool and I couldn't see well. It subsided after several minutes. It usually lasted about 15 minutes or so, and then I was extremely tired afterwards.

This only happened one time, and it was right after this that I had that one memory lapse. After working for the Rose's, I took a job as a nanny for two girls and this was when I couldn't remember, and it was a singular incident as well, how to get home for a while. But the CT scan was supposedly "normal" so I didn't think about any of these things again, until I recently stumbled upon this information about seizures.

And that's when I realized, I may have been prone to seizures all my life, and all it took was higher loads of stress and abnormal fluid or potassium, or low alkaline phosphate or glucose, to set off a horrible series of seizures, which, possibly, were just worse for any number of reasons.

But here's some of the information I found about seizures, and tell me what YOU think!

Actually, I think I'll post some information from websites in the following posts. Thanks everyone! I'd love to hear what your ideas are about this and would love to hear from people who have seizures too. :)

No comments: