Wednesday, December 24, 2008

CPS Uses Police & Refuses To Give Info (Feb. 27, 2008)

In this exchange, Marie lets me know they've asked for a police officer to be present, and then, if you scroll down to the very end, you can see I had to send an email to Marie at CPS, asking what hotel I was staying at, because CPS refused to tell me where I was going ahead of time, which became a pattern, as you will see from email documentation:

RE: Reservations For Hotel In Wenatchee Today‏
From: Scanlon, Marie (SCNL300@dshs.wa.gov)
Sent: Wed 2/27/08 3:00 PM
To: cam huegenot (cameocares@live.com)

Cameo -

I forgot to mention that we will have a Wenatchee Police Officer in the building tomorrow during your visit. This is a safety precaution. If there are any concerns that you will take Oliver out of our building or make a scene in front of him, the visit will end immediately. If there is any inappropriate conversation with or in front of Oliver the visit will end immediately. This includes talk about the Department, myself, your case, your medical problems or people you are in conflict with.



I have seen your visitation requests and will do my best to accommodate you, like I have been doing all along. What I need from you is cooperation with what we have available and what I am able to do for you. My job is to provide visitation for you and your son to the best of my abilities and as department resources are available and your job is to come and visit your son. I report to the court my work on the case and my efforts to work with you and regarding the health and safety of your son.



Visits will be during office hours until further notice. That is Monday through Friday from 8-5 p.m. Please let me know ASAP what days and times work best for you within those parameters and I can attempt to schedule two two-hour visits on back to back days. I will do my best for next week, but I cannot guarantee anything. So, until further notice your visits will continue to be on Thursdays at the DCFS office from 8:15-12:15. I can provide a bus ticket and a hotel if you do not have other accommodations. If you prefer to make those arrangements yourself, the State will not pay for them. I will make hotel reservations once I have confirmation that you will be coming to Wenatchee for your scheduled visit.



I am attempting to get your discovery redacted and sent/given/faxed to you; however I have spent most of the last three days trying to set up visitation for you. I see that as a priority at this time and I have given it a lot of attention. Discovery will be sent in a timely manner, but you must understand that I am busy with other cases in addition to yours.



Have a great day!



Marie Scanlon

Social Worker III

Wenatchee DCFS

(509) 667-6142



From: cam huegenot [mailto:cameocares@live.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:42 PM
To: Scanlon, Marie
Subject: RE: Reservations For Hotel In Wenatchee Today



I feel it was dishonest for you to tell me you didn't know where I would be staying and couldn't find out until I was already in Wenatchee, when you knew it would be at Red Lion, where I told you I didn't want to stay. I cannot go to the Computer Park cafe because there is a conflict wiht an employee who works there who actually befriended me and was always hanging around me, telling me all the time he wanted to fix my computer and then when I gave him access, he took things off my computer which ruined it and made it susceptible to hacking (took out the firewall and didn't replace it with another one) and then said he was going to give me a disc to reboot my computer and restore it and then never did. His name was Greg.

I told you I had to have computer access more than the allowed 1 hour per day at the library. You knew this ahead of time, and knew a few days ago that the Red Lion wouldn't work for me. If your department didn't have enough money to pay for a different hotel room, you could have told me ahead of time. You ALSO have switched my visitation from 2 days of 2 hours each time, to a 4 hour slot once a week, which I told you is NOT in the best interest of my son. He is a toddler and shouldn't be confined to a small room for 4 hours. He is a toddler, which means a big part of his development is to be active and be able to run around. 4 hours is too long. I said I'd do it THIS time, but it's not in his best interest, and I wanted to do TWO days back to back so he could have 2 hour visits, AND see me show up in his life more than just ONE day a week.

YOU screwed that up. I didn't. Not only that, CPS and your department know you are saving money by trying to cram all 4 hours into one day, and pay for one night at a hotel instead of 2 nights. So here, you just saved a night's expense, and yet you couldn't even book me a room somewhere that works for me, and that will allow me to be in touch with people I can't be out of touch with right now.

I find this to be disrespectful and further proof that CPS is not trying to work with ME or in the BEST INTERESTs of my son, but is only interested in demeaning me and trying to abuse their authority, and save money at my son's expense.

I do NOT want 4 hours of blocked time with my son ONE day a week. I want 2 hours at a time, back to back. This is for MY SON.

For ME, I want a hotel room with a business center, as I asked, and I demand advance notice about arrangements, and consultation with me about my schedule and what will work for me.

YOU guys created this situation, and the inconvenience, and damages, and should be willing to shoulder the financial responsibility.

You should copy this to your lawyer, or if it is Mr. Cabellero, to him, to Russ, and to your supervisor.

I am proceeding with all my formal complaints against you and this department for failing to uphold your duty to try to reunify and work with a family torwards a positive goal, for lying to me and being disrespectful and unethical, and for putting your own politics before the best interests of my son.

Cameo




Subject: RE: Reservations For Hotel In Wenatchee Today
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:24:38 -0800
From: SCNL300@dshs.wa.gov
To: cameocares@live.com

Hi Cameo,



I’m glad you took the bus and plan to come to your visit tomorrow. You have a reservation at the Red Lion Hotel at 1225 N. Wenatchee Ave. Their telephone number is 663-0711. Check in time is 3 p.m. today. They don’t have a business center, but there is an internet café at 518 N Wenatchee Ave. It’s called Computer Park. Their number is 667-9337.



I will need to go over DCFS rules for visitation before you have your visit. I have included them here for you to go over. I will need to have you sign the form before your visit will start tomorrow. Please come into the DCFS office either today before 5 p.m. or tomorrow morning before your visit (our office opens at 8 a.m.) so you can sign the form.


Thank you!



Visitation Guidelines





DO the following during visits with your child:

__ Arrive on time for visits.

__ Encourage your child to be responsible for morning and evening routines.

__ Encourage compliance with the rules in their foster home.

__ Encourage school attendance. Express interest in how they are doing at school.

__ Encourage your child to participate in counseling.

__ Encourage you child to participate in fun activities, like sports.

__ Bring books, games and activities to do with your child during visits.

__ Encourage your child to eat a variety of healthy foods.

__ Allow the social worker to answer the child’s questions about reunification.

__ Discuss placement concerns with the social worker after the visit, not in front of your child.

__ Ask the social worker for assistance and ideas as needed.





DON’T do the following during visits:

__ Substitute candy or sweets for a healthy snack.

__ Use drugs or alcohol before a visit.

__ Physically discipline your child.

__ Tell your child he/she will be coming home soon.

__ Criticize the foster parent, counselor, social worker or case plan.

__ Coach your child to change his/her story about things that happen at home.

__ Tell your child what to think or how to feel about what has happened to them.

__ Speak badly about friends or relatives.

__ Bring people to the visit without prior approval from the social worker.

__ Leave the visiting room without the social worker or visit supervisor’s approval.





VISITS WILL BE TERMINATED IN THE FOLLOWING SITUATIONS:

__ If you are 15 minutes late for a visit without prior notice given to the social worker.

__ If you yell repeatedly at your child or call him/her degrading names.

__ If you hit your child.

__ If you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

__ If you engage in sexual activity with your child.

__ If your functioning confuses or endangers your child.

__ If you challenge the social worker or case plan in front of your child.

__ If you persist in discussions that the social worker has already told you are not appropriate to have in front of your child.





Parent(s) signature: Date:



Social Worker signature: Date:





Information for Parents



We here at Children’s Services are committed to insuring that parents have contact with their children as much as possible. In order to accommodate the needs of all of the families we work with, it is important that parents and families observe the following rules:



Ø Visits must occur on time. It is important to your children that they can rely on you to be present for visits. When you miss a visit, they are often devastated. If you are late, they get worried and anxious. In order to best serve the children, we have the following rule about tardiness - If you are 15 minutes late, the visit will be cancelled and no make up time will be scheduled. If you are frequently late, you will be required to be on the premises prior to your child’s arrival at the office.

Ø No visit will be allowed if there are indications that you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. If there is an indication that your are under the influence, the visit will be cancelled.

Ø Visits are not the time to vent your frustrations with the case plan, with the Department, or with your social worker. This is a time to enjoy being with your child. If you need to speak to your social worker about your case, arrange a separate time for this.

Ø No swearing, profanity or hostility will be tolerated. If it is detected, you will receive a verbal warning. If you persist, the visit will be terminated.

Ø Visiting rooms must be clean and neat upon leaving. All toys need to be returned to their original position and any evidence of food or snacks must be cleaned up for the next family. Use last five minutes to clean up.

Ø No weapons of any kind are allowed at visits. You must remove any weapons prior to entering the building.

Ø Visitation rooms are not changing rooms. There is a bathroom with supplies for this purpose.









Have a great day!



Marie Scanlon

Social Worker III

Wenatchee DCFS

(509) 667-6142



From: cam huegenot [mailto:cameocares@live.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:05 PM
To: Scanlon, Marie
Subject: Reservations For Hotel In Wenatchee Today



Ms. Scanlon,

I'm writing to ask where my reservations are for today. I took the bus this morning and you said you would know where I was staying by the time I arrived in Wenatchee, at about 12:30 p.m. Someone is letting me use their laptop and so I'm asking ahead of time, where I will be staying. Please let me know and email your reply so I am able to check in.

You can confirm I took the bus this morning by calling Greyhound.

I won't be near a phone, and email is the best way to reach me in the next hour. Thanks

Cameo

No comments: