Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How Spanish Opens Doors: Como Abierto La Puerte Con Espanol

Not too long ago, I was on the bus and didn't have smaller change. I asked, in English, if anyone had change. The bus was full of mainly hispanic people but caucasians as well. No one answered and I saw some smirks from the hispanic people.

Then I asked again, in Spanish. Expressions changed. Faces and eyes were open and changed from smirks to surprise. Several people offered me the correct change and then smiled at me in a friendly way.

Today, same thing. I was accidentally locked out of my house, and didn't have my phone with me. So I knocked on a neighbors door, and they were all Spanish. I said in English, "Do you have a phone?" I explained I was locked out and needed to borrow a telephone. They didn't look very friendly and the men were suspicious and said no, they did not have a phone. I asked if they had a cell phone and they said no. So I then began speaking in Spanish. "Lo siento, pero esta no possible por me voy a mi casa--la puerte no esta abierto. Si possible por mi usar tu telephono or telephono cellular?" I know my grammar wasn't right, but instantly, the door was opened wider and they let me come into their house.

A cell phone was produced, and we began speaking with one another in Spanish. Now I am sitting in their house using their computer until a roommate comes home.

Literally, Spanish opened doors.

I think it's because there's so much discrimination against hispanics, it is appreciated when you show you know something about their language and culture. So I spent time just conversing with this nice family and all their suspicions were out the window.

I am warm, I have a computer, and I am with new friends.

I just wanted to write this post, in appreciation, once again, for my hispanic friends, new and old, and those I've not yet met. I am proud that my son is of this culture and will always do my best to cultivate pride in the customs and origin.

Muchas gracias.

No comments: