Saturday, December 20, 2008

Opinion Of "Exiled: The Real Deal"

I watched a portion of this MTV show and found it offensive. It's like the white girl goes into the most remote and deserted part of Africa, shows the Africans all the things we have in America, and tells them all about how she owns her own car, and then leaves.

It was just offensive. In the end, it was all about what the "spoiled American girl" learned. Who cares about the African village where they sleep on a hard dirt floor and work for their milk by hand-milking a goat's teat into a cup.

Just terrible. The least MTV could have done was give the village some cars, a few computers, and a chance at winning the American immigration lotto after telling them how rich we all are.

Ugggh. That girl, in this show, was the exact same kind of American woman I can't stand. It was all about her. And her progress. What did the Africans get? An inside scoop on the lifestyle of the rich and famous--"Now go milk your goat!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a different reaction. The show demonstrates how pathetic spoiled people are compared to people who know what hard living is.

The show shows that having so much material wealth makes us superficial. I think it makes me rethink all the crap I have and how much other people can do with them and seem happier people.

But to your point of helping them. No, not with cars or other wasteful things. I'd say medical, health, clean water things like that.

Mama said...

Thanks Daniel. I can see your point too. I learned a lot myself when I was in D.R. for 15 days, because they seemed happier than average Americans but had very little (in the village or barrio we visited).

You're right abut the priorities in helping them. I agree with you. I just felt bad for that girl when she was hearing all about the car, and she was so awed by it and I thought, well don't brag about the car unless you're going to share (like, don't bring candy to class children, unless you have enough for everyone).

I felt it was a little in-your-face, but yeah, I would agree with the importance of priority.

Thanks for your comment.