Friday, December 19, 2008

Oliver's New Words (Dec. 30, 2006)

Flag this message
Oliver's development and Restraining order
Saturday, December 30, 2006 7:36 AM
From:
"loree baird"
Add sender to Contacts
To:
eaglelaw@qwest.net, dick.whittemore@bullivant.com, dslader@spiritone.com
Yesterday Oliver said a new word: "egg". I was taking him to breakfast and asked him if he wanted "an egg" and he repeated, "egg". I can't get him to repeat things he says though--things just pop out. Once, he imitated dog and cat sounds, but hasn't done it done it since.

Oliver doesn't watch T.V.--I've read it's not recommended before 2 years of age, and even after that he will probably only see movies I select. But this morning I turned on the T.V. for audio to kids stuff and nothing was on except on some Christian station where kids were singing about fire safety. I kept wondering when it was going to turn into some kind of preachy message about the "fire of Hell".

Anyway, Oliver loes numbers and letters, and whenever I go over them with him he gets excited. One of his favorite books is a large artsy book called, "Me! Me! ABC!". If I count out my fingers to Oliver, he watches intently, and smiles. But I only spend about 10 minutes or less on it a day. I read classic poetry while he crawls, because even though he's occupied, I remember I liked to do other things while being read to, and it wasn't that I wasn't listening.

He now has four teeth on top and three on the bottom. He knows how to open and close a door to got where he wants. He laughs at funny things...I just got a book for him called "Peek-a-Whoo!" where instead of peek-a-boo everytime, it's peek-a-whoo, peek-a-zoo, peek-a-you, etc. He laughed at it, I think because he knew it was playing on the traditional peek-a-boo that I play with him. I don't read books with just one picture and a word because it teaches them nothing about sentence structure. So I choose books with sentences or storylines, and rhymes. Someone asked me if I wanted to homeschool. No way. But I want to be very involved in his education. I take him to storytimes and gymnasiums and concerts, among other things. He likes getting out as much as I do.

I have to introduce boundaries soon. He has none now. If he cries, I pick him up, and I tolerate all his tantrums. He's actually very good and doesn't cry much; very happy, but I have to figure something out. I hardly ever use the word "no". I say, "be careful!" instead, or something else that relates specifically to the activity I'm referring to. Boys supposedly are more emotionally fragile. Studies show girls tolerate divorce better than boys, and an absent male figure, etc. He's very affectionate and sensitive. He loves playing traditional boy-style though. And he likes books, as long as he isn't in the mood to be crawling instead. Sometimes, I'll start reading a book and he'll light up and crawl over to me, pulling himself up to sit on my lap and look at the pictures better.

As for the restraining order, the guy lied. I went anyway bc I figured I didn't want him around "visiting" the guy next door, so the restraining order is for 2 years. The judge said she was persuaded my way. I didn't say very much, which was good, bc that was the only thing that made me nervous. But he lied, flat-out, saying all that had happened was kissing, period, and that he didn't know why I would say otherwise. He also, I don't know why, lied about how many languages he knows. He said he only knew Spanish, but he also spoke to me in fluent French. But to the judge, he lied. Anyway, if there were charges, I have information that I couldn't have known if all that happened was "kissing" and I'll use it against him.

No comments: