Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Request to Modify Visitation (Feb. 23, 2008)

RE: Request to Modify Visitation‏
From: cam huegenot (cameocares@live.com)
Sent: Sat 2/23/08 9:56 AM
To: Caballero, Tomas (ATG) (tomasc@atg.wa.gov); Scanlon, Marie (scnl300@dshs.wa.gov); Sterbick, Liza (stee300@dshs.wa.gov)
Dear Mr. Caballero,

Thank you for your response. I wish to clarify that my last name is Garrett, not Huegenot. This is Cameo Garrett, mother of Oliver Garrett. While signing up for hotmail, it asked for identity info and I entered other "alias" information to protect my privacy if/when I am writing to unknown persons online. It's not recommended that people give out personal information, or even their name or main email address, to strangers online and this is why I use this account. Thanks.

Cameo Garrett ("Cam")


Subject: Re: Request to Modify Visitation
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 06:32:34 -0800
From: TomasC@ATG.WA.GOV
To: cameocares@live.com; SCNL300@dshs.wa.gov; stee300@dshs.wa.gov

Ms. Huegenot, please address your concerns to the court. My ethical duty is to represent the Department and I rely on their expertise and judgment on issues pertaining to social work. Although I will try as best as I can to respond to your requests, please understand that I am bound by ethical rules to represent the Department0and that I cannot give you legal advice.

If you are having difficulties obtaining legal representation, please contact my office during office hours and either I or my assistant Mindy McFann can assist you in obtaining representation at public expense.

Regards,

Tomas Caballero
Assistant Attorney General

----- Original Message -----
From: cam huegenot
To: Caballero, Tomas (ATG); Scanlon, Marie; Sterbick, Liza
Sent: Fri Feb 22 14:39:40 2008
Subject: Request to Modify Visitation

Mr. Cabierro,

Also, I wish to add--Marie Scanlon told me I could only have visitation with my son in a small sterile room at the CPS building. I was told by a supervisor for Wenatchee CPS that this isn't necessarily true, that visitation can be arranged to be held at a park or my aunt's house, etc. Marie's excuse for only allowing work-hour vistitaion was that the CPS offices are only open during business hours, but since I've learned visitation may be held elsewhere, I am asking for visitation at my aunt's house, with a CPS or SCAN worker present.

This is in the best interest of my son. My son would be confused by having not seen me for 2 weeks and then only seeing me in a strange room, to only have me disappear again. It would be an easier transition for him to see me while he is still at my aunt's house so he's not moved around and might have an idea that I know he's there and will visit again. I believe this would be more stabilizing than the alternative. Additionally, I know my aunt has expressed concern to Marie that my son is having severe temper tantrums and Marie agreed children react this way when taken from their primary caregivers and home, due to insecurity. This is evidence of distress and trauma. My son is reacting to decisions made on his life, by the state, and he has not seen his mother, whom he has a very strong bond with, for weeks. I am concerned as well that when I tried calling Marie and left messages for visitation, my call was not returned within the mandated 24 hours but 3 days later, and that then I was told I could not see my son for another 5 days, until next week on Tuesday.

There was no consultation with my schedule or availability. At this point, it does not seem, by all outward appearances, that CPS has my son's best interests at heart.

I am writing to you to clarify why I am now requesting a stipulated agreement to modify the restraining order (which may be modified more than once) to allow for the best possible situation for my son. At this point, my son needs comforting, and CPS is telling him he needs to wait another week, and trying to force me to quit my job and move to Wenatchee when I'm established here and they know I plan on asking for change of venue. I have no problem making the trip to see my son but someone needs to think about my son here, and not the politics. Bellingham CPS is more than willing, and happy, in fact, to take over as they are in a better position to offer services and know what the services are in this area.

Cameo Garrett

No comments: