Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Trying To Retain Lawyer (Feb. 20, 2008)

RE: Need Money and Guitar; Not Going Back to Wenatchee‏
From: cam huegenot (cameocares@live.com)
Sent: Wed 2/20/08 10:27 AM
To: dicksiedael@aol.com

Mom,

You still don't believe me. Please remember that both YOU AND DAD were telling me to just take a guilty plea, as my court appointed lawyer recommended last time. If I HAD, I would have a criminal record to this day, which would affect my life and Oliver's life forever. I even had my "lawyer" bringing in his supervisor to threaten me to take a plea, saying I would end up pregnant in jail and have my child taken from me if I didn't. But I KNEW how the system worked already, and knew what kind of evidence I had to clear myself and KNEW that I could win if I fought it. So I did, and because THEY knew I was right, all charges were dismissed.

THis is the same thing. I know you guys don't or can't see the implications of what you're asking me to do, and go "along" with, but you guys have never had persoal problems with CPS before either. Every single person I've talked to, rich or poor, since I've had this problem and Oliver was taken, esp. those who have EXPERIENCE with CPS, say to NOT take a court appointed rep and I already KNEW that. I've talked to private lawyers too, who say I can WIN this, but only through private representation, because otherwise, they just get what THEY want, and they already want to build a case against me and will use THERI mental health evaluation, which is always biased. I will do an evaluation, but only by someone who is independent and objective, and the private lawyers know who the good guys are.

ALSO, for once and for all, a private lawyer could not only help me get Oliver BACK, it would send the message that I AM PROTECTED and that no one can bully me around because I have my family backing me who is willing to pay for a private lawyer to fight it. This would make anyone think twice before trying to harass me and Oliver again--it would make our lives better in the long-run. No one likes to bully someone who has the means to fight it or family to help them fight it.

Finally, a lawyer who is private can clear things up like no court appointed lawyer can. A court appointed lawyer gets paid a FLAT fee, and it's hardly anything. This is why they do as little work as possible, because they're not getting paid for their time. They also don't have time to really help.

A private attorney could help me get Oliver back, send a message to others not to harass us or mess with us again, AND could clear my name because that type of lawyer can get into the details of, for example, how the FBI situation WAS true, and how misunderstandings by doctors that it was imaginary is partly what has led to this situation. They can also use character witnesses and testimonies of people who have seen me interacting with Oliver, to prove I should have him back and that he is happy, healthy, and safe with me.

If you and Dad would put up a loan to pay for a privaate lawyer to get him back, I would not leave or disappear with Oliver again. Because for once, it would show you cared enough to back me up and trust my judgment, and were WILLING TO PAY to fight for Oliver and what was best. So for once, it would be the first time you've ever actually done something to try to work with me, and actually put family before finances. At least, Granny and Grandpa could help put up a loan to pay for it. $20,000 to $30,000 is not that much, actually, to totally secure my rights to have Oliver back with me, and this lawyer could get him BACK a LOT FASTER than waiting on the system and a court appointed lawyer could. Oliver needs me and I can feel it. He's not doing too good--I just sense it and I couldn't sleep all last night and kept having nightmares and seeing him crying and screaming for me. And then sad and quiet during the day. He needs to be back with me and a private lawyer can make that happen a lot faster.

Also, I have a job and am looking for a better job besides and could agree to pay it back. I would pay everything I had for a private lawyer. If I only make even $10/hr., that's about $1,600/mo. and it would take only 2-3 years to pay off my loan. And I am qualified to make a lot more than that. I'll even sign a contract with you or grandparents, if needed.

But the system is slow when lawyers aren't paid anything, and that's what court reps face, and I KNOW I can win this.

If you guys will help me, for once, I won't just disappear with him and of course I'd keep in touch. But what I was saying, is that after all I've been through, and after the jail fiasco, if I'm made to suffer again, and suffer knowing Oliver needs me, I really don't think I could have any kind of relationship with my family after that. I will lose him.

CPS is known to be happy to adopt kids out to friends even. A 2 year old is highly adoptable. I tried to schedule even visitation with Pamela and she wouldn't work with me. She also basically told me I couldn't have a continuance and tired to pressure me to take court appointed representation. THEY know that their job will be harder and THEY could be found to have made some serious mistakes, if a private lawyer gets involved. A private lawyer will question why they just took him from me, and will question the legality of their actions, and they know it. What they did, even if they had concerns, was extreme and unnecessary, and they didn't even have a MENTAL health diagnosis as evidence agaisnt me. From what I've heard, just using a "blog" and hearsay isn't enough to take a child away from the mother. A private lawyer can prove that, and put Oliver back wtih me more quickly and then ALSO "work" with CPS and obtain a mental health evaluation from an INDIEPENDENT person. I told this private lawyer that I would work with him. I even told him I would try out medications if his independent person asked me to. BUT I would do that for him and NOT for anyone from Wenatchee. I am willing to "cooperate" for the right people.

But you have to trust me on this one. I have been "in the system" for years now and know what happens and I've talked to lots of people over here and in Wenatchee who dealt with CPS, and what they tell you is different from the truth. HOrrible things happen to kids, because of misinformation.

PLease help me pay for private lawyer. Ask granny and grandpa. I will pay you back. You have to TRUST me. It will be much better and much, much, quicker and in Oliver's best interests, to have a private attorney because he can put time into the case, is getting paid to do a good job, and will focus entirely on YOU and YOUR case instead of a stack of cases for a pitiful small fee. And, like I said, the justice system in Wenatchee is under observation by the ACLU because it's already been judged to be one of the worst in the nation. I know we can win Oliver back with a private lawyer and change of venue. BUt also, this assistant general attorney who is on the other side, was extremely hostile and nasty to me in the last hearing, and he is Catholic I found out, and believe me, he will fight tooth and nail to keep Oliver from me. Even that immigration officer in Canada, who did all these illegal things against me, was Catholic. And even police over there were wondering why he was so severe with ME, and what the big deal about ME was.

Cameo

To: cameocares@live.com
Subject: Re: Need Money and Guitar; Not Going Back to Wenatchee
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:58:29 -0500
From: dicksiedael@aol.com

Cameo,

First off, we do not even HAVE that kind of money...seriously. We'd have to 'loan' it to ourselves by taking out a loan.
Even if we DID do that, you have already said after you get him back, you and he will just disappear and we'll never see/hear from you again...and you had mentioned that you never intended to contact us again after going to Canada...apparently only doing so now because you need money. Why on earth would we borrow thousands of dollars for that? Even so, we would like to see you doing well in life and doing so with your son. I think you DO have a way to do that and it's not one that requires us to go into debt, you just don't want to take the way offered. Work WITH cps. Try being apologetic for fighting them, try proving that your child matters more than your pride or your 'rights'. It might take a while, and you might not like all the stipulations, but I truly do think you would get him back.
And the judge or da or whoever might not like you, but #1...even he can change his mind if you show to HIM a change of attitude, and #2..it won't really matter if he dislikes you if you actually get cps on your side and have them recommending in your favor. They will NOT do that at this point, but why not take the challenge of changing their minds? You CAN do that, and they want you to do that; they will work with you if you are working with them...it IS one way to get Oliver back. You can change your situation and a court appointed attorney will not hurt you if you are willing to work with cps in the first place. Is there another way, such as fighting them? Maybe. Maybe if you had the money and the private attorney you would win; but maybe you wouldn't, either. This way is every bit as likely, and it's the way most mothers have to go in your situation. Maybe they shouldn't "have" to, because perhaps they aren't 'guilty of anything' in the first place, but it's the route they have to go...and most of them DO get their kids back, they just have to do it cps's way.




-----Original Message-----
From: cam huegenot
To: dicksiedael@aol.com
Sent: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 9:52 pm
Subject: FW: Need Money and Guitar; Not Going Back to Wenatchee

I am begging you, for the last time, to help me pay for this private lawyer. 20 to 30 thousand is not too much to ask for Oliver to be back with me, and to have everything straightened out. It would be a loan, but I would pay you back. If you can't do it, then ask Granny and Grandpa for me. It is all I want and could ask for. If I had it, I would spend this much for him at the drop of a hat. I would spend everything I had, on my son.

Pamela basically told me I was going to lose my son and I know the assistant attorney general is very hostile towards me. I am sick at the thought. But I KNOW having a court appointed rep would be the WORST possible thing, esp. in that town. If I have this private lawyer, I think we'll be alright and I don't believe I will be bothered by CPS again. They would be too afraid that I'd get my private lawyer out. RIght now, they're not afraid of anything and they will take everything.

I am begging you to at least consider giving me a loan for this or to ask Granny and Grandpa.

Cameo


Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:09:59 -0800
From: mark_belanger@verizon.net
Subject: RE: Need Money and Guitar; Not Going Back to Wenatchee
To: cameocares@live.com

Hi Cameo,

I would enjoy representing you in this matter. As I said in our meeting, you need an advocate in this process. However, a change in venue argument alone could run in the many thousands. Your case could easily run up to 20-30K. Keeping in mind that I am a business as well as a lawyer, I could not take your case without securing a rather large retainer. I am terribly sorry.

Have you contacted law advocates? They are a local private non-profit organization of attorneys that may be willing to help you.

Yours truly,

The Law Offices of Roger Ellingson, P.S.
W. Mark Belanger, Esq
289 H Street, P.O. Box 1258
Blaine, WA 98231-1259
Phone: (360) 332-7000
Fax: (360) 332-6677
This message and any attachments hereto are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify me that you received this message in error, delete this message, and do not use, copy, disclose, disseminate or distribute this message to anyone else for any purpose. If you are my client and this message contains confidential information, then do not disclose the contents of this message to anyone or you may waive the attorney-client privilege.

From: cam huegenot [mailto:cameocares@live.com]
Sent: February-16-08 2:55 PM
To: mark_belanger@verizon.net
Subject: FW: Need Money and Guitar; Not Going Back to Wenatchee



From: cameocares@live.com
To: mark_belanger@verizon.com
Subject: FW: Need Money and Guitar; Not Going Back to Wenatchee
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:54:43 -0800

Mr. Belanger,

I need to figure something out. I don't know if you have any ideas, or just don't want a part of this unless you have the retainer outright from my parents. My parents aren't going to help. I tried. If you can't help me without my parent's financial support, I don't really know what to do. I applied for a job in Blaine which would start on Feb. 25th. It's a childcare position and would pay about $10/hr. and I might have a chance to sub in the schools here. But at best, it would be a week after the 25th to get paid. I am told the woman really liked me and was excited at the idea of hiring me--I just have to do the criminal background check.

I'm sure I can find work to make more than $10/hr. I used to tutor international students (ENNL) in college and was told not to charge less than $35/hr. and I may be able to find something better. I'm also a singer with an excellent voice and original lyrics and have been networking with some musicians in the Bellingham area for gigs. I would only do that in addition to a "day job". But I'm capable of singing for my supper and have experience in performance art.

I would be willing to have a direct deposit arrangment with you, where my paycheck could go into an account for you, if you like. I am going to have to get the legal paperwork myself, from the CPS worker, because I've been refused help from my parents in getting this. So it wouldn't be until Monday. A nice gentleman here in town offered to help me get my car back (which is still in Canada) this Sunday and I have to call the border today first, to make arrangements. I think I'll be back in Blaine by Monday and I'll contact you then.

Have a good weekend.

Cameo

From: cameocares@live.com
To: dicksiedael@aol.com
Subject: RE: Need Money and Guitar; Not Going Back to Wenatchee
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:38:52 -0800

I asked you to CALL that lawyer, not email him.

I rread all the other emails from you and then found this one last. This one, which tries to force me into what YOU think is best.

You have left me without a way to get my car, don't care about my getting a job, and refuse to even call a lawyer I asked you to contact.

If you change your mind about anything, you can let me know by email, but you leave me out here with nothing and that's your choice. If this is the way you guys want to "support" me, I have no choice but to work agaisnt my family in the best interest of my son. It is not in his best interests to be away from me and I don't believe it's in either of our best interests to have any court proceeding taking place in Wenatchee.

I will be asking this lawyer what he thinks and if he might make another financial arrangement with me, but under no circumstances will I be going along with a Wenatchee court-appointed lawyer.

I know how they operate there.

As for you, and my "using" you...You might want to reconsider what family is for and about. It's not just for the good times but to be supportive in bad times. It's not a fair weather arrangement. And YOU guys have taken gift money from granny and grandpa, each Christmas, of over $5,000 a pop, which was to be, I'm told, shared with me and Levi, and kept it for yourselves. You drive brand new Lexus SUVs, own several rentals and investments, redesign your house, have plastic surgery and other work done, and eat out and take vacations to Mexico, but can't "afford" a lawyer to help me get my son back. I know Dad actually promised to pay for a lawyer if I ever needed one for Oliver and yet you'd rather I rely on someone you DON"T have to pay and think that's going to cut it. I told you I would be getting a job to pay you back or pay for this lawyer but that's not good enough for you...you don't want to pay for anything. As for promises, you also promised to pay for any of my college classes I received an A or B in, and yet when it came time to pay up, you changed your mind, and instead of paying $300/class, you decided to give me only $100 towards living expenses for less than 6 months. You have gone back on your word more than once.

Cameo

To: cameocares@live.com
Subject: Re: Need Money and Guitar; Not Going Back to Wenatchee
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:33:49 -0500
From: dicksiedael@aol.com

Hi. I have emailed that attorney, but it was basically to say I didn't feel I would be retaining him and I feel you should work with the authorities, but leaving the option for him to say why I'm wrong and/or contact me.
You say it's going to 'cost a lot and someone will pay through the nose'. Why should we pay through the nose?
You have a way out, whether it's the way you want or not...work with the authorities. And I did have an attorney tell me that's the best. Whether it actually is or not is a gamble, I guess. I'm not willing to pay thousands for a gamble that may not even be in your best interests. And why on earth would you want to take Oliver from Holly who is taking excellent care of him and is a wholesome environment...just so you can visit him more often because you 'refuse' to move closer to where he's doing well? Nobody is saying move to Wenatchee, but you could move "closer" and still have the ability to see him while knowing he's loved and cared for. You have NO IDEA what sort of home he'd go to if you have him sent over there....and that's assuming it would even be possible. As it is, CPS is trying to keep him with family, because they, too, believe that is best for him. I dont think your housing or other needs should be met by us. You didn't care a whit about us when you took off, didn't care to let us know how you were, and even now have refused to tell us where you're staying. That's your choice, but all you really want us for is the money you hope we will provide....You basically want to just use us. Well, because we still DO care about you and because we do care about Oliver, and I really do feel badly for you (badly, but not responsible), we are willing to pay for one bus ticket to Wenatchee. We will even pay the return trip if that's what you want; but only one trip...not ongoing trips. I'd choose it for when the hearing takes place. From what Holly is being told by Pamela, you can not just call Pamela and arrange to see him. You have to call her and discuss it and THEN she has to get approval ...from the COURT..so it's not something you could just do on Monday, for instance. Holly wrote some things about Oliver's day today and I'm going to send that to you as a separate email or as an attachment. She said she thought it might be comforting for you to know how he's doing and she said she wrote it mostly so I COULD send to you if I wanted and let you know. She's offered to do that from time to time if you'd like her to, but I don't think she can have contact with you herself at this point. We do love you, and I AM glad you're looking
into working, but I would think it would be better to find a place closer to Wenatchee so you can attend hearings and visit Oliver. Love, Mom

No comments: