Monday, July 6, 2009

Hanford Radiation And Health Effects In Wenatchee Area?

Sure, my family was probably not affected by any kind of Hanford nuclear spill. That's what I thought, when I discovered radiation in water would go downstream from Richmond. But then I read more and discovered radiation spills have gone upstream and into Canada even. Radiation spills are also carried through airborne particles which have affected Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Canada.

Which is interesting, because of some of the documented effects this has on health. One effect is thyroid problems, cancerous or not. My mother had a thyroid surgery because she had a large tumor. She had to go on thyroid pills. She also had ongoing headaches. My parents first baby died from respiratory problems which were never investigated and they never saw autopsy reports--he died at 3 days of age after having problems breathing and turning blue. And now, I'm wondering about the chromosomal abnormalities which can cause sectoral heterochromia. I'm finding out one cause of my type of eye can be caused by radiation.

Isn't anyone else curious? I wonder how many people from Wenatchee or Monitor or Moses Lake could complain of the health issues found documented by spills from Hanford?

Here's the Washington State health advisory on just some of the problems:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/Hanford/publications/overview/overview.html

No comments: