Thursday, July 9, 2009

Rehab Director Says Medicinal Marijuana Can't Affect Custody

I had a good conversation with Lou, who ran a couple of rehab centers in Wenatchee for years. I've talked with him a couple times, just met him at a cafe and got to talking.

He knows some of my story, and I don't think he thinks I'm a substance abuser--I think he's been around enough people to know what's up. He's out of practice now but knowledgeable. He gave me some good info today.

I told him how I tried marijuana for the first time, about 3 months after my son was taken from me, when I never used it before. But, I told him, I discovered it prevents migraine for me. It kept me out of ER for months but when I was coming to Wenatchee I went off of it again and I ended up in ER last month, because they returned. I told him I didn't want to use marijuana, even medicinally, if it jeopardized my case with my son.

I tried cigarette smoking very recently because I read it has some vasocontrictive properties and is an anti-inflammatory and, at least on wiki, says it's even used for pain. So since it's legal I thought I'd try it for migraine, though I don't think it works for that. The thing is, I never once felt any kind of addictive "pull" from pot when I took a couple inhales, but I did with cigarettes and they're really a killer in the long run.

Then he gave me some positive news. Lou told me there's case law that makes it illegal to withhold children from parents because they use marijuana for medicinal purposes! He then gave me the names of some clinics which give out medical marijuana permits.

I told him I had actually tried to get a permit about 3 months ago and contacted an organization that is has a clinic in tri-cities but they got my P.O. Box number and I never got the medical forms they said they were sending me. So I called them and they said they'd send them again but I didn't get them again. I've never received any mail from that organization and my whole purpose was to give over my medical records and be evaluated and see if I could obtain a permit so I'm legal. But I didn't get them.

So, since I wasn't legal, I stayed off of it for about 2-3 months. I got my migraines again and ended up in ER in Wenatchee for the first time in almost a year. I had someone tell me I shouldn't get a permit because then I would never see my son again. So I was willing to do that and just be in ER all the time again. But NOW! I got this information that it is illegal for the state to claim a parent is a substance abuser if they need pot for a medical reason.

So! There is some hope. It looks like I can obtain a permit and keep my migraines away AND have my son too, without prejudice. He said DHSH has the case law information already. He said the argument that marinol, which is federally approved, is better, became moot because the cost is prohibitive at about $3,800/mo. for someone without insurance. So state law in Washington State is such that parents should not have to have fear being tagged as a substance abuser or have it held against them, when they have a legal state medical marijuana permit.

I am sharing this information because it's important for all parents to know, whose medical condition benefits from the stuff, and I will find out the exact law and post it here.

If someone wants to find it before me, I was told to call Department of Social and Health Services and then the Department of Alcohol & Substance Abuse and ask to talk to an auditor. I have to tell my lawyer about this and hopefully, this post might help some others who may have a similiar problem to solve.

Here is a link which shows what conditions are covered by state law, making marijuana permissable for medicinal use:
http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3391#Washington

I think the rationale which could be used for using marijuana for medicinal reasons, for intractable pain, could be that if cost of marinol is prohibitive for some, so is the cost and inconvenience of having to go to the ER for every single migraine episode. I went last month and it only partially helped me with migraine and I missed a court date and wasn't feeling well for about 5 days. So the idea is that you try everything else first, and if truly the most beneficial cure or preventive method is marijuana, this is legal with a permit and does not preclude any parent from having their children with them or being branded a "substance abuser". Heave ho!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are looking up. I agree: cigarette smoking is a terrible way deal with migraines. How is the job hunt going to secure income and show stability? Have you tried any temp agencies or recently offered cleaning or nanny services in the event other jobs are difficult to procure?

Mama said...

hi! thanks for writing. yes, i think maybe things are turning a corner. i'll post another comment about work after i find out about this WA marijuana law. i've done a lot of work lately but there are a few more things to accomplish.

Mama said...

To now answer your question, yes, I've tried almost everything. My lawyer wants me to make a declaration of all my job search attempts, which have been, frankly--exhaustive.

It seems far easier for me to find work in larger cities, like Seattle, but I want to see my son more and it's difficult to travel back and forth so I'm again trying to find work in the Wenatchee area, while I learn the grant writing and non-profit stuff AND I am working on a little research for articles and also on two different books. That's in addition to keeping up on where my son is at developmentally and thinking about things I'd like to see him involved in. I had him in a mini-mommy-&-me preschool before, as well as swimming, park and other activities.

I would like to be able to apply for him to be enrolled in a Montessori preschool, but I can't do that while he's out of my guardianship. I would also have him in swimming and I'd like to see what he thinks of maybe theatre or dance. I really think he'd love it. He is, or was at least, fairly gifted athletically and liked soccer, but I don't know what sport he'd be interested in now.

I know he loves art and I'd like to expose him to more art (and myself as well). His favorite book when he was with me, was an artbook on Frida Kahlo.

I would like to have him try ice-skating and skiing too and see what he thinks. He'd be a speed demon on the ice I think (holding hands with me of course).

I think he'd like some kind of acting but I'm not a stage mom at all and would only want him to do things he seems to enjoy, or which may be challenging but not high pressure (unless he thrives on it for some reason).

I know he is good at balance, hand-eye coordination, imagination stuff, and he really enjoys looking at art.Oh, and he's definitely into anything that's electric or mechanical still. It's hard to see where he's growing most when I can't observe more than a few hours a week.

Mama said...

Oh. and I want to travel with my son, so this is another reason why I like the idea of grant writing, because it offers flexibility. Grant writing is ideal to me because I could do it while he's sleeping and have more time with him and oversee activities he's involved in and visit people, that sort of thing. So we'll see.