Sunday, July 12, 2009

Music & Church

I heard some songs I really liked. I don't remember the hip hop ones, but I liked a few, including one by Atmosphere, and J-something (not J-Z).

Listened to Kate Bush radio and to The Smiths radio. Also liked Liz Phair's "Perfect World", Cyndi Lauper's "I Don't Want To Be Your Friend," (I can sing this one!) Marianne Faithful's "Crazy Love", Kirsty MacCall's "A New England" and Lisa Germano's "Magic". I think I could sing Cher's "Believe" too...that would be a fun one some night. But I want to sing that one at JRs in D.C. Like Lauper's "All Through The Night" with the reggae guy in the mix...really cool...I could sing that one too and I danced to it. First song I've danced to in awhile. Kylie Minogue's "I Should Be So Lucky" is another good one to dance to!
***************************
I sang "Killing Me Softly" at a kareoke pub on Friday night. I chose it because I like that song and the first time I heard it, in that movie where Kate Hudson is trying to do everything in her power to get the guy to dump her and annoy him. So she plays and sings this song. I don't know, it just came to mind so I sang it.
*****************************
**************************************
I went to church today. Two different ones. And, for the record, I won't be writing about anyone and what they do at church.

What I didn't know, ahead of time, is that I was going to end up hearing two different sermons, one in English and another, downstairs, in Russian and Ukraine.

I felt very comfortable at the Bretheren service. I knew the hymns and the Lord's prayer and the people were all very nice. It was nice and low-key. One man told me how the building was used for other things during the week, and that's when he said, "As a matter of fact, there's a Ukranian service taking place downstairs." That sparked my interest, so I went down and heard the music and then peeked and saw I couldn't sneak in from the back. So I turned to leave but the woman who happened to be the choral director came out and asked me if I'd like to join and asked if I had a Bible. I said I didn't speak Ukranian and she said it was Russian and Ukranian, but I don't know either one. So she said there was an interpreter and I said okay and borrowed a Bible from the upstairs Bretheren. Then I walked in and sat in the back. The sermon was almost at an end, about whether to serve God or mammon (the worldly things of the earth). I thought maybe it was Eastern Orthodox because there were a lot of headscarves and long beards but I was told it was just preference but not required. It was really nice and I have to say, for such a small group, the music was phenomenal. Sort of classical training or natural, but very good talent. The guitar sounded like a gypsy guitar and there was a cello and sax and piano and beautiful voices. The song I liked which I almost began to cry at, I asked the name of it and he said it was about Jesus or God being the physician and healing. There was a little boy there with a large scar on his head who had been hit in the head with a golf ball and he almost died from it and they didn't expect him to live but he pulled through. I would like to know what the name of the song is though, in Russian or English. They invited me back so I could find out. The translator knew both Russian or Ukraine and Spanish. I asked how he got there and it was as a refuge during the 80s and they were in camps with other christians and jews and almost went to Israel but the U.S. took them all in.
******************************
I cleaned today and threw out a lot of stuff. All the stuff from the desk and then a lot of old condiments from the fridge. I threw out all of the kitty litter stuff someone left behind which took up a whole corner in the laundry room. I also cleaned the laundry room in general and threw out all the lint bits & pieces all over the floor. I did 3 loads of laundry too--my things and towels for everyone else. I did some bleaching as well.

No comments: