Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Meeting With A Priest

I met with a priest and for me, it was a positive thing. When he came in from lunch and I asked if he was a priest he said yes and I almost instantly tried not to cry. Then we went to his office and I sat down and I tried to begin but I started crying.

For me, it was a large step forward. I sort of confronted my own apprehensions and went in, in peace of course, and honestly wanting to see if he might have some advice. He seemed to be a nice man. Ironically, I saw all these papers with Mt. Angel Abbey letterhead at the front of his desk, but that didn't keep me from talking to him.

He didn't know what to say but I didn't get a bad vibe from him at all. Then the meeting ended and I was walking out his next appointment was wearing a black and white CIA shirt, well, that said just "CIA" on the back. He had Irish eyes, and I didn't have a bad vibe him either, not really one way or the other. He seemed pleasant.

I left and I felt at peace simply because I had been able to go in and just have a conversation and express how my interest was just in peace and the welfare of myself and my son. I asked for any advice or what he might suggest and he didn't know, but still, it was a positive outcome for me.

I feel I could possibly go to a Catholic church with a different attitude. That's not where I'm going, but I could visit without reservation even though I know a lot of things have happened with some group in connection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! You are very brave to meet with a priest after all you have gone through. Kinda interesting someone walked in with a CIA shirt - but CIA agents never reveal their identities, so I'm sure it's just a shirt he bought off some street vendor!

Mama said...

No, I didn't think he was CIA. I have met CIA and talked to CIA and they don't wear shirts with bold lettering to advertise themselves most of the time.

I really did't know if it was another thing to just get me to write about something that sounds odd, because it took me 30 minutes to walk to the church and people knew I was going there...Someone could have known and said "hey, wear this shirt" or it could have been coincidence.

I was hoping it wasn't just another form of mockery, but I looked him directly in the eyes and I smiled to let him know I had nothing against him, and really, you never know if someone is trying to make a point that's not necessarily bad but is to be helpful.

Everyone there was courteous and kind and I didn't experience any kind of harassment. I think the priest didn't want to hear some of the things I said maybe, but I was polite and went without an agenda. I actually thought he'd offer to pray with me and I wouldn't have minded. I think it could have been a good step for more than one person.

It was positive for me, overall.