Friday, July 10, 2009

Hitchen's Whooping & Chastity Bono

Wow. I sometimes forget about my celebrity love interest. Mr. Hitchen's.

He got beat up! if I'm to believe the Huffington Post. Way back in February. Another one bites the dust! Way to go Hitchen's, for having a backbone.

My opinion...not a good idea to deface a sign in a foreign country, but it was also a sign with a swastika on it. I don't know what I think except I respect Hitchens. Free speech, even for swastikas really, but then again, like what some posters wrote: he doesn't just talk the talk, he walks the walk. I admire his courage. I'd like to have been there, coming in from the side with one of those swinging balls with little barbs in them, on a chain, like that Asian girl in Kill Bill. Except, I think I'd just be there to break up the fight. When I think about it, I don't know if either one is exactly right. I don't know enough. I support free speech, not just Christopher Hitchens' free speech.

(from wiki on freedom of speech). Noam Chomsky states that: "If you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in freedom of speech for views you don't like. Stalin and Hitler, for example, were dictators in favor of freedom of speech for views they liked only. If you're in favor of freedom of speech, that means you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise."[11] An often cited quote that describes the principle of freedom of speech comes from Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often mis-attributed to Voltaire) "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs.[12]

Hitchens came to my mind very strongly, yesterday but I didn't look him up to see what he's been up to. Then I did look him up today and am going to find out what he's been up to.

I read somewhere that Cher is upset with the idea of Chastity Bono documenting a surgical procedure she wants to have done. I don't know if it's true or not but I think it's brave of Chastity, if she wants to do it to help others, why not?! She's choosing to sacrifice a small piece of privacy in order to help other people who could benefit from her story and own experience--I think it's humble.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's going by Chaz now, fyi :)
At least Cher says she supports her daughter, although she doesn't understand it, she will strive to do so.

I went to prep school with his younger siblings (same one Beau B went to in Rancho Mirage), and hopefully the whole family is as tolerant as Cher is.

Mama said...

Thanks for writing! I didn't know what to think, because I actually (this is embarrassing) got the "info" from The National Enquirer. Which, you know, is supposed to be the least reliable mag but I don't think it's any better than the others. Sometimes there is a very small grain of truth in what's said, so I thought if this is true, I sort of liked and supported the idea.

Daring, I say.

Rancho Mirage. You guys must have some kind of rat pack over there! What a small world.