Thursday, July 9, 2009

The New Yorker, June 22, 2009 & Time Magazine

Great issue. Found The New Yorker lying around and said, to the man I thought it belonged to, who said it wasn't his: "Oh, and I was hopeful you might be sort of intellectual."

I don't always read the Yorker and sometimes just an article or two, but I found a couple of interest: the one about the CIA director Panetta and the one about Nora Roberts.

I noticed Nora Roberts about 10 years ago, taking the lead on the stands, and thought, "Who is she?" I've never read a book, but I noticed she's either prolific or that her stuff keeps selling. First time I thought I should just write trashy romance novels and make a buck.

I just censored myself and what I first wrote, in response to the CIA article. I am going to add something back in...I think the closing statement made by the CIA director Panetta, is very telling. I'll leave it at that.

Actually, this is the first issue of the Yorker where I was laughing out loud at the jokes. My favorite is the one of the king knighting the homeless man and the homeless guy says "Thanks. But can I still have a dollar?" It made me think about my knighting of my housemates, who are like, "Umm, when are you bringing in the food stamps again?" Gosh. It sucks to be a simple landowner these days. My other fav is the one with the hot dog stand guy roping off one dog and telling a customer he's saving it for someone special.

There are some really good cartoons in this issue.

I also liked the article by Joel Stein, in The Times for this week. Hilarious and I was laughing out loud the whole article, about his wife wanting to save the placenta and freeze dry it into capsules. It's a brilliant comedy piece. Everyone should read it--we need more comedy in the world, now more than ever.

No comments: