Thursday, January 21, 2010

Crime Committed Against Sleepwalkers

I was just thinking about this today and yesterday for some reason, and it crossed my mind about a month ago or less. I was wondering, if someone who is known to sleepwalk soundly, not remembering things the next day, if someone takes advantage of this sort of hypnotized state, is this a crime?

I thought, of course it is, but then I was wondering, how does that play out in court? And what do the sleepwalkers actually go through? I wondered about actual cases, if there were very many or if psychologists hear much about it.

It was just one of those ideas that got me thinking.

I was thinking, does the sleepwalker act completely normal as if they are awake? How is it different from drugs that are used to create a state in women where they don't remember anything the next day.

I don't do this, myself, to my knowledge, but when I was younger I was found sleepwalking and then also I started thinking about an old housemate who was surprised I didn't remember anything once. He made a suggestion that I'd been sleepwalking and couldn't believe I didn't remember anything at all.

It was just a random thing that crossed my mind. How deeply people sleep or sleepwalk and for how long and if they remember things usually. And then, if those persons have ever ended up with legal actions against someone. I guess, because I have read about people who blog or email while sleepwalking and can't remember a thing, and then I've heard of people eating a whole fridge's contents and they don't remember a thing, or performing chores or going out to a club even, literally, while sleepwalking and not remember a thing. I wondered if, like someone who is asleep under anasthetic, if any of the sleepwalkers have ended up finding out later that someone was taking advantage of that condition. It would be sort of interesting to read more about it.

No comments: