Friday, January 22, 2010

PBS Music: Joshua Bell

Well, if hell rings with a bell, are there any seats left? Really kidding, but on PBS there is this special with Joshua Bell, a violinist. Very talented work, and then they had other songs too. I liked "My Funny Valentine" which is when I tuned in, right about that time or one song before, just randomly.

Then I had to look up words to "Morgen" which was sung by Renee Fleming and the words are enough to make you cry. What a meaningful German song--I really like the lyrics and the repetition enhances the feeling, and doesn't detract. There was a Spanish one "Para Ti" but I was sort of impressed with this rendition of "Eleanor Rigby" that they did. Wow...Very simple but at the end, that finish was perfect. It was beautiful, the way the piano ended on those few notes, with the violin. Sometimes I don't like the cover mixed up differently, and I was questioning but the piano work was very good...moody.

For some reason, the cello player with red hair looks a little bit familiar. Sitting back in the orchestra. She looks so familiar to me, and I know I've gone by her in passing, must have, at some time in my life.

I didn't know what to think about Roberta Spector. Gifted but I couldn't tell if her song was supposed to be...? It seemed very tragic but I didn't know how to read it, it seemed tragic and sympathetic and then somehow cutting and sardonic in a triumphant way at the end. The part about birds still being hungry and then another verse which was similiar and then this line about the meatball in tinfoil at the bottom of the fridge--a lesson in how fleeting preservation is...I don't know. I didn't like it. I felt it was offensive to the meatball. No, it was just her attitude while singing, it felt like...I didn't like it. I didn't care for the attitude or the attitude of the song but she had a gift--Good piano work though and I like that type of style now and then.

Good trumpet player. I think trumpets are for hunts but this was nice.

The ones where the piano plays by itself sort of freak me out. It was supposed to be a tribute to Rachmaninoff and they had his frame there, but when I kept thinking of dead people and ghosts. Not anyone in particular, but I don't particularly like the piano-playing-by-itself thing as much as I am into the "spirit" of things.

I liked Bell's "I'll Take Manhattan" best out of all the songs he played.

The dog was freed, released, on what kind of bail I don't know, from her doggie jail and poked around at my closed door right before I'll Take Manhatten so I let her in. Maybe she just likes music. I think she's come in on her own, both times, on nights where opera or instruments are being played.

I liked the Yankee Doodle song. I don't know why, but I do. I forget what a Yankee is though and I think I am one...I think the west coast is consdiered "yankee?" Oh how hilarious, the narrator said Americans really like Bell's "yankee doodle" variation.

I wonder if this is rude though, my letting the dog sleep on my floor? I mean, she's not my dog. I wasn't trying to sneak her away, maybe it's been the music! I wonder if she originally had a musical owner. Not all dogs like to hear music, some seem to enjoy it and other sneak off to a dark corner or go under a bed. I left the room to use the restroom and she followed out and then went back upstairs. I think she just came to say hello tonight.
*********
Tonight there is a series on the Windsors which should be interesting. I have looked up the schedule of programs tonight, on KSPS. I like a lot of the programs they have. I'm excited for Sunday because they're having a movie that sounds good and the nature show is on eagles next time. I find I love that Nature show.

I really liked O Cease they singing maiden fair. That song was also beautiful and it was the first time I'd heard it. I liked all of the music that was played, and Bell was very talented. Sometimes I felt HE was feeling it more than other times. At times, I feel he's been rehearsed so much it's gone to a beautiful technique, but I think there are a few times the feeling comes through. On Eleanor Rigby I almost thought the singing was slightly overdone or not felt at heart but acted more, maybe, but the piano work felt very sincere. A natural sensitive flair.

I like Rachmaninoff in general, but I was too distracted by the self playing piano which is silly, but I was. I don't mean I felt spooked, literally, just...I don't know, the only time I like a self playing piano is in an old country-western John Wayne movie maybe, with a bunch of barmaids in fishnet and corsets. The rollicking self playing piano.

I think Joshua might have a new breakthrough with music and the feeling of it. I think he's playing the same things and a few of the songs have lost their meaning to him in the repetition. But I think that's a challenge for many musicians and he could get it back.

Oh, I came in on Sting, that's right. I am really sorry to have missed that because I only heard the very ending but I really like Sting. I was about to put on "Fields of Gold" as I heard him singing the end of his other song because I haven't heard that song in awhile.
********************
Charlie Rose is next. I used to watch him all the time. I was a fairly nerdy 19 year old I guess. I watched him at night after working as a nanny during the day.
*******
I guess I write some of these things because how will my son ever know what I'm about, the way things are going now and have been going, and I do not trust that my son will have access to what I'm trying to say unless it's online. Anyone can burn anything that is not published.

There are other things I would like to have my son know and the goal is to get him back, but I feel sad tonight, because I feel disappointed by a lot of things with my own family and yet I also feel bad because I think everyone knows my son and I have been bullied.

I think this is more than evident. I am still waiting for a decent defense. If I had a defense on this matter, there would be no problem at all. I have too many things backing me in a positive way. But time is just going by.

I feel bad, most of all, for my son, because a LOT of people know that my son has been abused and used as a target. He's the one who has suffered. When this happens in my own country and law enforcement and even FBI just smirks, this is very disturbing to me.

I am close to writing Obama directly, and asking him why is this happening, or getting that new AG Erik involved. If I have to go to the top to find someone decent in government, I'll do it. I had to do that with the Fair Hearing I had in Washington. Every single Judge was really horrible to me and it was all a weird fight, and I had to go all the way to the very top, to that guy and then he completely knew what I was saying and he fixed things.

I do not care what I have to do, I will do it, and Obama should also have access if he wanted to know, what certain parts of the government have done with me and my son.

No comments: