Saturday, January 23, 2010

Love Australia On "Aboriginal" Comments

I love Australia more and more. Good for them, for sticking up for authentic costumes and those who are disrespected.

The Russian skating couple look like idiots and where did they get the idea that eucalyptus leaves in this fashion are any part of authentic costuming? It looks nothing like any culture's authentic costume but more like something they came up with all on their own.

I also think, in general, that it is offensive to attempt to put on another race if you are not of that race. If a white person goes out there with black make up all over or vice versa, some groups will wonder what the message is and be offended. The only time mimicing another culture or race seems appropriate, and I mean mimicing in person...as it's not offensive to try to copy a style for painting or other arts...but when a white person or person of another culture does this, I think the only time it's appropriate is if it's to be a geisha or put on the traditional japanese paint, because they cover the whole face and it's done in a way that anyone from any culture could do this.

The skating couple look like clowns and the gleeful looks, in combination with the costuming, sort of enhance that idea. Well, at least she did put on make up. I can't imagine how she'd look without it and it's too bad her partner didn't use any on his face. Why not? actually.

They say it's "australian aborigine" and then disclaim saying it wasn't meant to be "specifically" such.

Bad taste in my mouth. Go Australian aborigines and Go Australia!

I am personally offended enough that I hope this pair does NOT go on to "win gold" as they are favored to do. Oksana Baiul, I loved, and she deserved to win her prize. This couple has some things to learn still, and I would suggest they take up boxing, as a way to round out their technique.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Australia is so hypocritical, and actually sucks when it comes to affairs with "Aboriginals" - a derogatory and offensive name the Australian post-indigenous settlers gave the native people. Check out the movie "Rabbit Proof Fence" - true story which will indelibly change your perspective on Australia's relationship with the Indigenous Australians.

Mama said...

Okay, I will sometime. Thank you Anonymous. I enjoy getting comments like yours, about regular things in life. I guess I'm tired of writing about myself so much (I only do to protect myself and my son & to sometimes hope someone will draw from my well...? ahem, one day will be OUT of that well I hope!). So, thanks for writing your thoughts and opinions.

I will watch the movie. I like to hear different sides of things and I don't know very much and am always open to having my mind or opinion changed.

You're a good writer. Your comments are succinct and I always want to be able to say so much, as you have, with fewer words.

Mama said...

I just looked up the synopsis on wiki. Now I remember! I have seen this movie, only once, but I remember it well. Now that I remember it, I want to see it again. It is one of the best movies I've ever seen. I also think it will be even more powerful to me now with my own situation with my son in mind. Thanks for bringing this up for me.

Anonymous said...

Another great movie I recently saw was "The Cove", a relatively new about the dolphin holocaust in Japan. Based on what you write about activism, this movie should definitely leave an impression with you. Interested in your opinions about that topic!

Mama said...

Hello Anonymous,

Thank you! I will have to check it out. I need to go to the movie store and see a few movies.

I like any kind of movie, well-done, on this sort of thing. I'll let you know.

I just realized I missed the "peace group" meeting tonight but it's the first time and should be alright. I would like to be an impartial humanitarian activist but then it seems to get complicated, as politics seem to be in the background, somewhere, of so many different causes.

I'll write a new post when I've seen it and hope you'll find that. I really did love the Rabbit Proof Fence story. Once I saw the cover for the film, I remembered right away. It's an amazing story.

Thank you again.