Friday, January 22, 2010

Haiti Concert

I don't always like Alicia Keys singing and have loved her voice but she really impressed me tonight, very from the heart. She sang "Send Me An Angel". Then Clooney came on and it was a good intro, very important.

I got tears in my eyes bc of Coldplay--the voice is beautiful and they just get to me. I love this song too. They might be one of my favorite bands and feel very spiritual to me. "Get That Message Home" (is that the title?) Oops, no, "My Song Is Love." So much for sounding like an authority on one of my "favorite" bands.

I feel a peace with Bruce Springsteens song. Wow, he still has such an emotive voice. It doesn't matter how years go by with him. "We Shall Overcome". I will probably listen to this one on my own a few times later.

Listening to Stevie Wonder, and he can still sing too. Very good. "Bridge Over Troubled Water." He has perfect pitch.

Perplexed by the stars at their stations. Half of them looked into the camera like they were annoyed or hated the camera. ? The others were just taking calls.

I love Shakira. I think she has one of the best, most unique voices right now. Not to mention being able to sing in more than one language. I like this song as well, "I'll Stand By You". This was my first song of the day today, with the little girl singing. Actually, now that I think about it, she dances even better than she sings. I have never seen anyone dance the way she can dance. The video from "La Tortura"?? Amazing moves.

This Wyclef Jean song might be one of my favorites. His range and how he can move over all the notes. "Like A Motherless Child." I really like this one. Very delicate...it reminded me of a brook, the way it was flowing, it really made me think of a brook in a meadow.

If this is Mary J. Blige, I don't know? "Hard Times"...I like it. I feel like I'm in church!

There's sort of a weird thing going on with the row of stars taking calls. I mean, they're actors, so it's not hard to put out an image but there is so much cynicism there, even though they are doing this wonderful thing and for hope...Not all of them, but...I don't know, maybe they're getting overly excited and zealous fans on the line. I have no idea. It would be hard to be on a stage in a humble manner, so maybe that's part of the discomfort. Probably, they are getting some interesting comments. But I sense a lot of self defensive or protective shields. Like there is more beneath the surface but for some, a jaded exterior protects the vulnerabilities. Sort of like a few of them have not even had a chance to tap into what is real for a long time. I could get a better feeling if I could see more. Julia Roberts--very centered. Motherhood has served her well. At least there, in that moment. A couple of others too. I can't believe Cindy Crawford is still that gorgeous...didn't sense anything.

Like Taylor Swift's song...really great and sincere performance and I liked the background.

No wonder Nicole Kidman has won awards. She's a great presenter.

Christina Aguliera's song is very moving. GOOD job. Everyone knows she has a good voice, but she really pulled it off with the spirit and it's not melodramatics. It's, I want to say that was "annointed" in spiritual terms. The interpretation for "If you lift me up" just that phrase alone, carried it. She had trouble hitting all the notes, but it didn't even matter because the spirit of it was there.

The only one to make me tear up so far was Coldplay, but I'd forgotten how much talent, sheer talent there is, in America (and I think some of these people from UK and Haiti and other places too)

As for presenters, the English guy in the brown shirt and jacket, he felt the most strongly sincere. Maybe Clooney in the beginning too, very sincere. But I could feel this was real, not just a performance. I have no idea who he is. I wonder how things are over there because they just raised their security levels. Things are definitely getting weird, politically, I think.

When the cameras panned the "star panel" this last time, they looked a little more upfront but it wasn't a more unguarded moment either. But looked better for those watching.

2nd night in a row with Sting. I liked it, just like him in general. Damon and Dirty Harry did a nice subdued call for respect to all peace keepers. The mic wasn't very strong with Eastwood though.

The second song to bring tears is "Halo" by Beyonce, but I just really like this song. I like it scaled back like this, almost a capella and puts the focus on her voice.

Steven Speilberg sounds pretty down to earth, can easily chit-chat with anyone.

Morgan Freeman (is that his name?). Incomparable speaking voice. Beautiful just to hear him talk.

I think this trio with Crow and the guys, is great. Upbeat and hopeful, the first one where I really connect with that "hope" theme directly and positive. All of the songs, perfect, but I mean, this is really a song about "hope". They can rock it. Terrible sarcasm approaching when I hear the line, "I just might have a problem you understand" and then I see someone saying, "You've been buried alive too?" And then this 'call me, just call me..." . "I've BEEN calling and thank God my cell didn't cut out!" or, "I was calling, but we don't have cell phones here. Do you know where I can get a calling card if I'm making about $2/day?"

Cute little girl with Anderson Cooper. What's so horrible is how calm she seems, having lost 10 members of her family.

Bill did a great job. Very real and can talk right to the camera like it's a person. Wow. forgot about that.

I love Madonna! I sang along with this one. Yay! It was "Like A Prayer."

I can't remember this guys' name but he's the funny guy. He is very serious here as he probably usually is and then he just breaks out to bust a move.

Wow. Justin Timberlake on "Hallelujah"?? Very well done...sensitive. Wow. That one brought very strong energy to me. That feeling I sometimes get. I felt it right beneath the breastbone. Not as strong as I've noticed sometimes, just a little bit. The rendition was very good. I was looking away when they showed the musicians.

I like Jordan Sparks but maybe not the choice of song, just because "Let it Be" in the midst of tragedy, I don't know. I think I'd snap, "Let ME Be!" Or something like, "Excuse me, but I am still in the shock phase, and I have 2 more steps to go through until I get to acceptance, if you don't mind." It will mean a lot to people there though I'm sure who don't think like I do. I cannot relate to this song as it's much more of a pacifist song of letting go, when I have my own personal battle to wage for and on behalf of my son.

Wow. Did I get "bearded" for Nic Cage or for Brad Pitt? I am only quipping. He did a nice job.

This "Many Rivers To Cross" song I like with a reply of "The Water Is Wide (I Cannot Cross Over)"

Tom Hanks is quite the natural speaker.

I like this...I really like the feeling. The feeling and mood is there. It's Jay-Z with this other woman who sings Spanish great! and Bono. I like the lyrics a lot...very appropriate. Oh my gosh...Oh, this was a weird connection...Just as I was breaking into a smile, I clicked back and the whole group was as well, at that same moment. The right spirit is there and those are awesome lyrics. Now my mood is down a tiny bit, but it was interesting...there was this roll of a build up and I totally started smiling at the same time. No, the energy is there. It's sort of off and on for me tonight. I like the lyrics about how it's real people that are going to help, be God's hands and that's when I began to smile. The music was sort of okay, but I liked the music.

I also like this song by? I don't know who it is, but it also feels very true. The one after Julia Roberts spoke, and she's doing just fine, it seems.

I don't know who this duo of men is, but I really like what they've done. It was just right. Beautiful song and sincere interpretation. Really liked this song. I don't know what the title is, "Please Hold My Hand"? I liked it.

I like this Haiti song. Is this their anthem or is this a Bob Marley song done up differently? I thought I heard it was a kind of anthem. It's one they could all sing.

I think it's really great to be helping one of the formerly poorest countries, in the middle of hard times. I think it speaks well of the countries that have pitched in and I feel Haitians won't forget it and it will come back around to, in appreciation or friendship.

So many issues right now!

Everyone did such a great job with this. Really nice to watch. I want to go back and watch a couple of parts at some point.

I wish I could be helping, hands-on, in Haiti. I want my son, so I'm here, but I can't do very much here. Still trying, but anyway. If I could, I would try to help out, even to remove rubble.

Very strange, because maybe "aster" means something different, but I got "aster" today and then had clicked on the haiti concert and turned to Oprah and just caught the end but I saw her earrings and they looked like the kind of aster I saw after I got the word. And then she was pro-mo-ing the concert and it just came on. So nice to see it live. I was really surprised to see aster earrings.

No comments: