Sunday, January 10, 2010

Faberge Eggs

I'll have to make a decent post out of this one because the information online is all over the place. There are only a few photos here and there and in different places, and then some of the photos don't have descriptions next to them.

I was looking up, trying to find, Di's favorite movies because I've never seen or read anything about what kind of movies she liked to watch, and then I found links about jewelry and then it was the Queen's jewelry and then faberge eggs.

So I tried to find all the photos on the eggs, in museums and stolen, and it's really hard to find.

A few of them caught my eye. Some I don't care for, even though the work is beautiful, but others I do like a lot. One faberge "insert" or whatever that I found, which isn't an egg but what goes inside I think, is of a gold baby carriage with a baby in it. I am very drawn to this one.

I also like the yellow and black one with the flowers at the top, and the green and rose one with A for Anastasia. Also, the pink one with the clock and the rooster on top. I really love the cameo ones too, but I guess I'm partial to cameo's? I didn't know there were some eggs with this design. I just love the baby carriage though. I was looking for a description and couldn't find one. That's what bothers me, is everything is separated online.

I like The Imperial Peter The Great easter egg. My favorite part is this idea of a little watercolor in the middle! Love it.

This is the best link I've found so far: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02/russian-imperial-faberge-eggs.html. The problem is, there are not titles for all the pieces.

I also like this silver torpedo and gold one. It's very military-ish, but nice and clean and powerful as an artistic statement, and then I love the painting! that accompanies it! Sort of hard and soft elements.

Hmmm, I'm ranking high on the google list for this post about faberge so I'd better do this justice. I'll probably ramble a little, as I'm browsing, and then I'll try to fill it in with what I can and compile information like I did on the sectoral heterochromia post. I tried to find the link to the russian museum or whatever, which was at www.kreml.ru, but the link was broken so I'm finding what I can as I go along. I really love these. Everything about them and I just found out originally, it was the Russian tsar or king, who presented one of these to his wife, each year on her birthday. I like the sentimental aspect and the artistry, although I definitely like some better than others.

I don't like the lily of the valley pink egg so much, for example, but I love the basket of wildflowers one. This one is absolutely amazing, the intricacy of those flowers! I love it! It sort of reminds me of the 1950s too, in a whimsical way. I really like this one. I guess I should find better words to describe art if I'm going to post but I'll try to put links and more authoritative things here, right now I'm just finding the ones I like. What struck me most was the little fray of wheat and the seedlings at the top.

Here's a link where I found the wildflower one, and it's a good site for photos and organization: http://www.mieks.com/faberge-en/1901-Flower-Basket-Egg.htm.

I was skipping around trying to find the baby in the carriage but now I'm starting from the top. I like the first Hen Egg. It's simple and exquisite. Very sweet with the idea of a small pendant inside to wear as well, but I guess that got lost.

I like the idea of the Renaissance Egg in the shape of an oyster with pearls inside, but it's not my favorite. It does make me think of, is it Venus? in Bottecelli's painting, which I really like, and I think it's one that could grow on you. It has a lot of little surprises but I think most were lost?. The Blue Serpent Egg I like for the serpent, and I prefer the blue and gold to the Duchess of Malbourough pink which isn't as striking with the serpent against such a tame color. I didn't care for the satin diamond egg except for the cherubs which held it up and it's too bad the stand was lost. Otherwise, it's very plain without the cherubs.

I like the Pelican Egg for the eagle with the laurel wreath around it. And the pelican feeding her young idea. It's not my favorite, but it's very architectural. I don't like the Lily of the Valley egg as much because it's so busy, but I love the surprise of the basket! I like it so much more than the egg. The Madonna Lily Clock. That's the one I described as yellow and black with flowers on top...I like this one a lot and it's probably one of my favorites even if for some reason, it doesn't make sense that this audacious bouquet on the top should work, but it does somehow. This one seems very russian, very eastern orthodox now that I think about it, now that I know it's called Madonna lilies.

I like the trans-siberian Train egg, mainly for the train! I love that train. How cute, and with the little sayings for each carriage too. The four leaf clover one I like for the amazing artistry and handiwork. Truly amazing. It's not my favorite maybe, but it's just astonishing the amount of skill that went into this one. The 1903 Royal Danish Egg I just like for the elephant on top! But it's been lost. I really love the Imperial Peter The Great egg and that watercolor of the Winter Palace is so pretty, especially at that angle, with the trees along the water. I really like this one. The Swan Egg isn't a favorite, but there is something about the mood of it that's right, with the color and the crack in the egg and then the head and posture of the swan. I like the swan all by itself though, outside of the basket and apart from the egg, but it sort of tells a story with the cracked egg. I guess I feel the mood of this one.

I really like The Alexander Palace egg. I like the colors and I had thought it was just little photos of anastasia, but it's of all the children and it sort of makes me want to cry in a way. I really like this one and even though the palace is just a seeming palace, it feels sentimental next to this egg with the children. So far, this one is the one which feels most emotional to me, but I know a little bit about their story too.

I don't care for the 1909 Standart egg except for the side profile! I'm not into the ship eggs as much. But I like the symmetry and color, with the dropping pearl, from that angle. The Collonade one I sort of like. It's very romantic and Greek, but I'm not sure what I think about the "men on top!" theme with the girls all sitting below, waiting on their cherub brother, as, I was reading, it was decreed after Catherine died, that only men could inherit. Hmmph! My favorite part is the doves on the inside. In a way, I think it represents the mother and father but I'm sure another interpretation could be found. I think of love birds-doves, enclosed in this little protected and blessed space. Bay Tree egg--like the bird rising out of the tree to sing motif but don't love the braids around the box its in. Still, I like it for the idea of something hidden, peeking out for a song. I think I might like some of these more or less as I go back and stare at them longer. Some are instantly striking to me though. The Catherine The Great egg I like for the colors and the scene where she is teaching maybe geometry? or respect of mathematics? with the orb and then the triangle in the background...I like the idea of this very empowered and creative woman. The work on the Mosaic egg is incredible but I am still most impressed with the clover one and the artistry, the way it's finely wrought...I didn't notice, the first photo I saw, what the surprise is, and I like it, sort of a glass handheld mirror in a way, almost as would be on a vanity, but reflecting the faces of the children. Nice history behind this one too. I still, for some reason, felt like crying and had tears when I saw the children in the Alexander Palace one. Maybe it's the contrast of the idea of children with an imposing building and the idea of this (what that palace represented) being a reason they were killed. The Mosaic egg is very cheerful, and a proud loving tribute to family. I felt a little tearful at the Red Cross egg, when I came across the inscription: "greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friend." That got to me. It's very pretty in a simple way. Love the Steel Egg and the portrait with it but it's sort of sad to hear the country was starving or bleeding or whatever and this expensive piece was made, or maybe it wasn't that much, if it was made of steel..but the sad part is that then...I don't know. Such a contrast. The Birch egg is plain but the surprise was an elephant I probably would have liked. It was lost. Then there is the constellation, unfinished...

Fun to look through these things tonight. Will do more tomorrow.

UPDATING: New evening and going through the rest of the faberge eggs.

1898 Kelch Hen Egg. Love this one with the inside like the egg white and the yolk! I like it much more than the lapis lazuli one because the yolk on that one looks more tannish, at least from the photo. The hen is so cute, with that easle too. The colors work really well together.

1899 12 Panel Egg. So pretty, kind of interesting with the contrast of the white and blue (what is the name for that kind of dish pattern that's dutch or something? and always in blue and white?) and then the warmer rose and gold with green. My favorite part is the stripes of roses and the green leaves at the base. I don't know what kind of plant it is at the top. I can't see it well enough. This one seems very structurally sound. Weird description, but like one that could "drop and roll". The Pine Cone Egg (Kelch) I don't like so much. It's so-so to me. I like the idea of the pine cone and the way it opens but it's just not a favorite.

Apple Blossom or Jade egg. Like the color green in this one and how it's speckled. I really like the idea of the apple blossom tree and think the colors and flowers are pretty. The part that bothers me is the seam. Of course it has a seam! But I don't want to see it! It's so pretty, and has meaning for me even, but I like the eggs where everything is hidden or the seam is intentional as part of the design, encrusted with jewels. Sort of, make something of it or make it disappear idea.

1902 Kelch Rocaille Egg. I don't like it. It's too garish with all the splashy gold and the bright green and the little pink trumpet heart. I also don't like the Bonbonniere egg very well. It's exactly the opposite, well it's sort of a combination of boring and too lacy. I wouldn't mind seeing this in a nursery, but I wouldn't put it anywhere else in the house. I think the lighting is wrong. I like the second photo of it better than the first and I like seeing it from a distance and then it makes more sense to me. The Chanticleer egg sort of bores me. After seeing the Rothschild egg, I feel, yawn, this one I'll pass on. I do like the way the gold swags down in loops at the top and I like this style of clock, and the pearls at the base. The chicken I like, but it's almost too ornate. Maybe it would look different in person.

Duchess of Malbourough egg. Now that I see this one again, after seeing the Chanticleer egg, I really like it. I would have to see the Blue Serpent one next to it. I like the bold feeling of the color for the Blue Serpent, but now that I'm looking at the Marlborough egg again, I really love that snake and how it's coiled at the bottom and reaching up and the idea of a love trophy! I still think I like the Blue Serpent more. I can't make up my mind as to how much I like or don't like the Duchess egg.

I like everything about The Rothschild egg. I compared the chickens, wondering why I don't like the one from the Chanticleer but I do like this one, and the expression is different and the colors more vibrant and somehow solid. I like the eye better in the R. chicken. I love the base of this one, with the gold flaring up from the base in very thin...I don't know, it's very pretty.

The Yusupov egg I didn't really like too much, but I think it's interesting the photos were removed. I think I don't understand...it looks better with the photos but it's because these guys plotted to kill someone? if so, better off, but it would be prettier with another photo of some kind, the monograms don't look right, to me. I love the colors, and I think I like it but as soon as I saw that monogram, so large, before even reading it had once been something else, it struck me as off-balance. The photo looks better. Even a small watercolor or something would be better, in my opinion Okay, reading more carefully instead of skimming--yes, those who killed rasputin were featured so I don't blame someone for taking them off.

I love the Nobel Ice egg. It's seems simple but it's understated. It almost made me cry too but I'm not sure why. Something sad about it or something regarding this egg that ...I don't know how to describe it. I really like the pendant that goes along with it, how it's a clock sort of covered with snow, partly. I love this one but I don't know why. I don't like the design of the flakes on the clock pendant so much as how the clock is hidden beneath snow. Something seems sad about this one, like the history it carries or what it's been through or the people went through, just doesn't line up. Or maybe it's a sadness associated with the owner, and since it's privately owned I don't know who that might be.

I like the Resurrection egg but especially like the idea of its being the surprise inside the Renaissance egg. Especially when I think of my initial idea of Bottecelli along with the Renaissance egg. Sort of a similiar idea but would be unique.

I like the Spring Flowers egg a lot. Especially where it reveals the surprise inside. The may flower basket. It's pretty with the gold and little flowers. The Lapis Lazuli egg is so-so for me, mainly becausse of the color of the yolk, but the photos might not be very good. The blue enamel ribbed egg is so-so for me. Nice symmetry and design, very clean and polished and whimsical little rabbit, but I wouldn't fall in love with faberge if I saw this one first. I do like the detail of the tulips from the top, how they line up.

I like how the Scandanavian Egg opens up. I like the hen and yolk eggs. They're simple but, oh I don't know. This one I like, because it opens up like a hard boiled egg should, ready to sit in a cup to have at breakfast. lol. Terrible way to describe why I like it, but I like this angle. Not a very nice history along with it. I don't know why I didn't get a sad feeling with it, but maybe with that other Nobel egg, it is something to do with the very mood of the egg, ANd the history, AND the current owner? or my own life and how I see this egg in relation?

I like the Twilight Egg. Don't know why, because I feel like I shouldn't, and like it doesn't or shouldn't work, with this little lacy gate against the mosaic and the bold moon and then...I saw it top down...I saw the tiny little stars and then the moon, and then the gates. It makes me think of my son, and his favorite lullaby, "Twinkle Twinkle" and it makes me think of the Arabian nights "open sesame!" or the tales of 1,000 nights or whatever, or something fairytale and turkish? I don't know...but I like it! It's weird. A weird one, and I like it. I feel it should have a stand though, and a surprise though I don't know what. Something that would be found inside of those gates, something important.

No comments: