Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Trying To Quash The Good & Granny's House

I think tonight is bizarre. Because to me, it feels like something good wants to break through and then there's just a lot of stuff, that is working overtime to keep me down or from getting ahead, or just wants to disrupt any peace or success. It's like the gates of hell are open wide and have been for a long time, and there is a serious struggle. I love THIS Natasha song "Not Givin' Up". Really good one.

Today, I was walking over and I passed by my grandmother's house, the one Granny grew up in, and for the first time ever, even though I've walked by a million times, I knew that was the house. So I stopped.

This house, Granny said, was always on some kind of roster as being possibly one of the best built and designed houses in the valley, and after getting up closer, I believe it. I don't know what style it is. Cape Cod or Queen Anne or what? I have no idea. I'll have to ask someone. It's very European and her father, the designer, was Luxembourgish and he was a contracter, designer, and builder. He and his brothers or sons worked on the major dams in the area and did some other work too.

The quality of the craftsmanship is astounding. I walked up to the door, which is a little porch with a covered area and it is like the door in that portrait, that Jesus knocks on, and it even has that lamp and the heavy door knocker. No one was there, but I was to ask if I might look at it sometime. There's a little wishing well on the property in front too, it's very charming. I looked at it from the side and was really surprised by the symmetry and the quality of materials is the best. Then, I looked at the sidewalk or walkway, and it's some kind of refined concrete but it is inlaid with tons of slabs of uneven or odd shaped marble, and it's so beautiful! I couldn't believe it! Even the sidewalk was gorgeous! I felt very proud of my great-grandfather in that moment, of his artistry and craftsmanship. He was truly a talented individual, even if I hear he only wanted to play cards and didn't talk that much.

What I didn't know, is that is another building that goes along with it, a carriage house, and it's equally pretty and very sturdy. I guess I'm bragging, but it reminded me of a Faberge egg in quality and quality of materials. It's a very nice house. The only time I felt tears though, or sensed anything sentimental, was when I went around the carriage house to the garden and as I was standing there, I sensed many important memories were made there and I then saw this gorgeous wisteria with great old vines climbing up over the house and then over a trellis that went through to the back of the garden but I didn't go out to the back because it was dark. It was just absolutely beautiful.

I really enjoyed seeing this house and then it was weird, because Granny always had a German shepherd when I was younger and one block later, this guy was walking by with a German shepherd he said was named "Hildy" for Brunhilda.

At any rate, I respect the man for his artwork. I don't know that much about him except that he was very quiet, and only talked to his best friends in Luxembourgish, but the house is really a work of art. And I'm not just saying this as a relative, but as someone with a reasonably natural artistic eye.

No comments: