Friday, December 12, 2008

images

i know these are ridiculous and uninspired, but i'm writing what comes to mind anyway, even though they're not really poems:

(wrote this one while listening to viva la vida)

let's go
two great hands coming down on keys, above me the green and blue
car doors slam she is ready to church, a wedding train before and behind
of children, lovers, a woman with a brass and rose colored pin on her lapel
the choir sings in a chorus line, kicking, and one young man prayed
surrounded by women, disguised as men, he reached up and pulled on a string
bells ring
cooking from a microwave, thinking of the grain of sand and one mustard seed
walking in the street, disappearing
a farm and a call that is only a whisper, pressed ear to the ground
hands to the dirt, to feel the rumble, pulling a wire from along a house,
hidden in the bushes, a weathervane turning
a landscape burning
at the bell tower, she ran along the steps to the top, feeling along the concrete walls
fingertips dirty, writing on a window her message,
set me free
weathervane turning, bells ringing, and no one left to sing at the top
bottom below a trap door for an escape
jump into the piles of papers, leaves of an autumn forgotten, find the needle
i will sew this up, give me the holes, and i will do the mending
pricked her own hand, bled over the white dress
throw me over your shoulder when you rise from your prayer
i am finding all of the email they destroyed, my cache
is being sewn by little mice and birds while i am crying
still running along the bell tower, still writing on the window
QUIET they yelled QUIET
bread and water when the key was turned, water for the soot to ink,
bread for my slate
if you reach out, you will find me in the thicket, in the middle of the hedge
don't clip off my ears when you come around, my secret gardener
will you bring me the dress they've made? it's faded yellow with writing on it
i am to wear the newspaper today
it will be my wedding dress
away to the church, i have a train carried for me
before and behind, and my bridesmaid are in green, carrying evergreen
wear what you had on the day you unlocked the door,
i want you to wear the exact same thing
when you reached out, after rising from your prayer
you are going to live and we are going to raise our children to wave boughs of
mustard seed, we will watch them run with their arms out, as airplanes
my daughter will wear the newspaper dress, with a few alterations
with a wreath of roses around her head, thorns studding the skirt
my maid of honor lady liberty
my maid of honor justice shining with a candle high
SHOUT i'll say I WANT TO HEAR YOU YELL
sing for me with your beautiful voice, when the hands come down on the keys
shake out the carpet
i am coming back

No comments: