Friday, January 8, 2010

MRI and PET for Diagnosing Mental Illness (Not NUTS!)

This is really amazing. I don't know why I haven't tried doing any research on this earlier, but both the MRI and the PET can positively determine whether or not there is mental illness.

I am looking up these science and medical reports as well as other presentations, and the difference in a "normal brain" compared to one with OCD, schitzophrenia, and even depression, can be determined through a PET scan. A PET can find any of the illnesses that are out there. ANY of the.

The MRI will show if the brain is normal or damaged by schitzophrenia but the PET will show problems of all of these other, even very normal or ordinary mental illnesses. I had no idea.

So my doctor ruled out any kind of schitophrenia with me. My MRI results didn't reflect any kind of paranoid schitzophrenia, as would show if I did have this. So, that can be ruled out, positively.

I just realized what this means!!!!! I have had schitz ruled OUT! Hmm, so this is remarkable then. The big one that some tried to push on me is pretty much null and void, so that means no medications for this either because this is an objective report, it's objective evidence.

I was worried if they couldn't find anything, I would then be called nutso, but now I'm finding it actually works FOR me, and proves that I am NOT nuts. Wow.

I mean, I already knew this but how can I prove it? Objectively? Now I can!

How weird. This is all very weird. Hmm, so if I'm not paranoid schitzo, and I'm not, then what will someone decide?

"She is highly creative and was therefore a risk to her son"? It didn't even show brain damage from my auto accident except for my spinal cord thing.

I think I have very good grounds for getting my son back, and what is most important is that I have audio monitoring of the visits so there is objective evidence for this, that my son wants to be with me and that our visits are good and he's with someone he loves.

This is so, sooo, weird.

I started crying and then this song which is like an eerily familiar song came on: "As Far As Florence" from The English Patient. I don't know what about this song. I like this one too...the celtic voice...from "Resurrection" (Passion of the Christ).
********
Anyway, I had a quiz on my memory today. One of my housemates asked me what books were my favorites because she needed something to read. I said I didn't know but I'd get back to her on it. Said I like autobiographical books, survival stories (like Shackleton's "Endurance")and a few others. I also like classic fiction and poetry so she mentioned the sonnets, which I love. She said Sonnet 18 was one of her favorites and I said I used to have this one on my fridge but I can't remember which sonnet it's from. But she said something about buds of May, and I repeated, "Oh yes! How shall I compare thee to a summer's day?..." and then I remembered the one I had on my fridge which goes:

"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds
or bends with the remover to remove. Oh no! it is an ever-fixed mark
which looks on tempests and is unshaken...it is the star to ever wandering bark
whose worth's unknown and height's untaken..."

I'm getting it wrong now but it was right earlier.
****************
I feel like the energy isn't right. I don't know. I haven't prayed for a few days. I mean, haven't other than maybe unconcious words. Need to pray. 7:30 p.m.

I can say one thing...nothing is "getting to" me anymore. I feel like I have the first part of proving I don't have mental illness, so this is good. It's really fascinating though, because I had NO IDEA these PET scans can not only find changes and diagnose for major disorders, but I guess, even things like ADHD! and Depression is really weird. I've looked up, tnoight, scans where they show a normal brain, and then a depressed one, and then one on medication and how it's "recovered". With my MRI the only thing it will rule out is a major one or two where changes are most pronounced, but with PET, it appears all kinds of things can be found.

They can find signs of epilepsy, of ADHD, bipolar disorder?!, depression, and also some cancers which are not detected immediately through MRI. Really fascinating I think!

I think before anyone tried to medicate anybody, really, PETs should be done. Otherwise many medications will actually CAUSE and create damage to the brain. But this is very interesting. I guess the things that PET wouldn't pick up on would be...? I don't know. Maybe...? Hmmm not sure. Because they even pick up OCD. All of the major mental illnesses and some minor ones too, can be found with PET. And then some things can also be ruled out with basic MRI but it's the PET that will find the needle in the haystack or give absolute proof one way or the other. I've definitely learned a lot tonight.

I guess The Wenatchee Valley Clinic has the ability to do PET but I don't know how much experience they have with it compared to some other clinics in the state. I have no idea. A scan is a scan but it probably depends on how it's done or how in depth it is.

Anyway, thank God, I guess, for modern technology. I mean, thank God for DNA testing that can now be given to prisoners who are innocent! and thank God for PET and other diagnostics which can be used to confirm or refute subjective claims about someone else's mental state. Very interesting stuff. Really, it's a wonderful time to be in the world and then it seems terrible too. But thank goodness for scientists who help to create objective standards of measurement to eliminate human error. Really!

No comments: