Saturday, December 6, 2008

Miscarriage After MRI In First Trimester & Note To Baby

After the MRI, the doctors were all trying to reassure me that we couldn't "know" my baby's heart stopped because of the MRI. I said it made sense though, because there was a heartbeat just days before, and now there wasn't. I also told them the Radiologist said not to do it, because she said it's a giant magnet that spins water molecules really fast and heats the inside. I went ahead with it, thinking, as the doctors, did, it would be fine. I did, right before I went in though, thought about what it could do to a developing heart--would it pull it apart? I assumed no, and figured the benefits outweighed risks because although little is known about doing MRI in the first trimester, it's been used safely for years.

But I told the doctors if it spins water fast, blood in a heart is also a liquid and perhaps it does something to the heart. They said there was no research on that, and I said, "Well, I think somebody should put it on the map." They just looked at me.

And so, because I fully believe the death of my unborn baby was because of MRI, I want this post to be out there for other mothers, so that they know it is not just about potential birth defects, but that the actual movement and force of the MRI may be too strong for fetal heartbeats in the first trimester(even though my baby was already 11 weeks, 1 day).

It should be put on the map so parents can make better informed choices. I am not angry with anyone except myself for signing the consent, but at the same time, I am not holding this against myself either, because I cared about, and loved my baby,and made a choice that both I and some doctors felt was reasonable.

I was still starving, like being hungry for the baby, before the MRI, and my breasts still hurt, from growing. After the MRI, all of this went away and there was no heartbeat for my baby.

I am sorry baby, and I hope it was quick and that you didn't suffer. I know you are beautiful and perfect in form, and you were wanted, and at the moment you were conceived, it was as close to being in love as I could manage to be at that time. It was a beautiful moment and you were a blessing to me and I'm glad I got to carry you with me as long as I did. I wish you could have heard me sing more.

It was just your heart. You were a fighter and you were a stong baby, and I know you would have been a blessing to the world, but I hope you will be a blessing to some other parent or to doctors who will see or read this and think twice before doing MRI in the first or maybe even early half of the second trimester.

Your destiny was not meant to be an experiment. We will still get your little brother back and he will know about you one day, and how much we both went through, to fight for him, wanting him to be in our company.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so tragic & i feel your baby continues on through your continued love. I also had a miscarriage within 24hrs after an mri. i feel for you and know your baby shines through the soul of your other children/ child as well as yourself. May God bless your family and your little angel be at your side and in your heart always. ...J

Anonymous said...

I was told it was safe to have an MRI in my 29th week of pregnancy. 3 days later, I went for a routine sonogram, and there was no heartbeat. I am devastated, and have tried to research the safety of the MRI during pregnancy. I knew I shouldnt have gone in, and all I could think throughout the whole procedure was how much the baby was moving during the MRI.

Unknown said...

Hi. I just had the experience recently and I am heartbroken. I had the MRA at 16 weeks. Did you ever look into legal action?

Mama said...

I am sure I could have sued. The man who took my unborn baby to his funeral place, I'm sure could see for himself what happened.

No one will ever investigate, even though a crime prior to MRI was committed to that unborn child. Law authorities should have and could have investigated and I sought to have the unborn baby preserved and kept for lawsuit or other investigation.

No lawyer would take the civil case. They just asked questions for discovery purposes.

Then I endured bleeding and complications for almost a year. It was 6 months I was incapacitated and not able to even handle legal matters with something else (something a lawyer named "Tanesha" failed to consider in her appeal for me bc she did not bother to listen to her client or even communicate with me).

I have a slew of lawsuits I could bring.

So far, I've had lawyers who are bribed I guess, and not one has taken a case for me and been zealous, even though there has been the potential for a huge pay off for a couple of them.

I am sorry to hear about your experience and tragedy. It will get better. No one should MRI first term, no matter what someone says they want to do, because it will basically kill the fetus. They should make this clear from the start.

For me, it may have saved my life in the long run because I had twins and problems but this could have been caught earlier.

Anonymous said...

I am new to this website, but I just read this and wanted to share and ask a question. My wife is 6 weeks pregnant. Her GI is considering an MRI without contrast of her stomach to help figure out what might be causing her extremely painful bowel movements. Did you all use contrast during your MRI's? I ask because we are doing research on this - her GYN seems to think that the MRI is safe in first trimester as long as no contrast is used, And, he see the benefits out weighing the risks for my wife due to the severity of her pain, and fear that there is something partially blocking her intestines. Thank you and I am very sorry to hear about the loss for each of you.

Mama said...

I'm not a doctor, so I'm not giving medical advice, but my personal opinion, however, if you want to keep the baby, I wouldn't recommend having an MRI. Maybe if she's towards the 3rd month and heading into the 4th, and I did not have any contrast with mine.

Mine was a plain MRI without contrast, and the machine "malfunctioned" they told me.

Whatever the malfunction was, I knew the moment the baby died, because I immediately felt the loss of life in that moment. I never had a more psychic connection with an unborn child, though I have this with my son as well, maybe I wasn't as attuned the first time and second one I knew more.

I knew the moment this one, or set, was conceived, and I knew the moment they died.

If the bowel movements are painful and she hasn't tried psyllium or something to make it more liquid, or worked with someone who can help position the baby better (some people can do this), then I guess you're left with the MRI.

Maybe it's not so bad, if the military isn't deliberately trying to kill your kids by causing machines to malfunction and then surge stronger than normal.

Like I said, I knew it the minute it happened and felt immediate sadness and then I confirmed and found out I was right.