Monday, August 1, 2011

Myrtle (native only to Coos Bay & Israel), Alder, & Maple

I had thought it was just part of one tree that came down recently, on our property, but I found out this morning, it was 3 kinds.

My Dad left to work and when I saw him still on the property, while playing with the dog and then noticing out the window, I decided to take the dog out to see him. So I did and then asked if he needed help. He was clearing brush, and cutting up wood into logs and then splitting them. I had thought he was doing this on another property but since it was there, I offered help. So he said sure and I put on clothes for work and then I found out it wasn't just a part of maple that came down. Instead of it being just one tree, it was 3 kinds:

Myrtle, Alder, and Maple.

The kind of myrtle that came down on our property is native only to Coos Bay and Israel. I thought this was interesting. Coos Bay and Israel! Like, it may have spread out a little, but it's origins are Coos Bay and Israel. That they would have this in common. And not far away there is a town called "Myrtle Point".

Then I noticed the wood of the alder tree and said it was so bright I wondered if anyone used it for art purposes and then I later looked up trees and Fendor uses them for electric guitars. I've looked up Maple before, but today, after helping with clearing brush and then splitting wood, I looked up Myrtle and Alder. I've always had an interest in knowing the names and history of trees.

We took a break and sat on the back of the truck and ate cherries and spit out cherry seeds at one point, but I'm actually glad I wandered over with the dog because if I hadn't, it would have taken my Dad maybe double the time. I basically dragged all the brush away into a burning pile (will bring marshmallow roasting sticks for grand occasion--it will be a huge blaze), and then my Dad had cut one of the tree trunks into logs which I then rolled over and he split with a machine. Even with the machine it was a ton of wood but we got it all done before 11 a.m.

At any rate, I read about some medicinal uses for some of the trees and might make use of what's fallen. We're thinking of cutting down more of the trees that might present a danger or are starting to rot. Some of them are rotten on the inside but you'd never know it to look at what appears to be healthy branches. Even when we were splitting some of the logs, the logs could look fine and then you cut it in the middle, and it's rotten right in the middle, but it looked fine from the outside.

No comments: