Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bible Scripture

I said I'd write about some things I've read recently so I will, since it's Sunday.

Today I read a few different passages but the one which I felt the most on was from Deuteronomy 2 & 3. It was random, not of my own choosing but random but I prayed before that God would have me think about something from what I turned to. I read at the part where it says not to provoke or harass the Moabites. It said God gave them their land for an inheritance. Then it goes to the other lands God does want them to take. And then the part I thought about the most, aside from seeing directions on "go" and "stop", was how God then says, go forth to this other land and take it and Moses prays and flatters God and says let us look over to this land and see it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPNqPhHV2Y (I read from my own bible but here is a clip though it's missing 3 so I'll go to the one with 2 & 3).


There is no interpretation about what this meant but then God tells Moses in response, you can go ahead and look at it. Go to the top of the hill and look in every direction but you will not cross that land.

I think it's because God was upset he didn't have faith. God told him to do something and he wanted to see it first. God didn't like that (I think). So he said, go ahead and look but now someone else will take the people over the Jordan river.

And God loved Moses, to the point of striking his own sister Miriam, with leprosy when she and Aaron grumbled and said "Does God only speak through Moses? he's spoken through US too!" God said others see me in dreams and signs but Moses sees me face to face. There is no one as humble as Moses. So Moses cried out and asked God to heal her and he did, but this shows God's favor on Moses, yet it is not as though Moses was perfect.

When Moses doubted God, as he did when he said, "I stutter and I'm not a good speaker, make Aaron the speaker...", when he faltered about taking a good land without seeing it first, God said okay then, go ahead and get a preview. Look. But now someone else will lead the people over it.

It made me think about how God wasn't giving them "all" the land or territories--he said "this one is for them" and go here, not there, and then this one is for you, but have faith.

Before Moses prays this, sort of interesting, but I don't think it means anything, they pass through "seir" (pronounced seer) and then he wants to see the next land and God just wanted him to maybe have faith and believe it was good or not to worry about strategy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-qkjGcyGIo

Here's 2 & 3 together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsASSSJJO6k (this one is easier to follow as it's together and doesn't drown out or fade out in the end...I don't know why the ending is muddled in the one through audiobible but it's not muddled in this one at the end of ch. 3 and you can hear it clearly)


It sort of goes with some things I've thought about recently but I know the application is much broader. I have thought in the last few days, maybe it was yesterday or day before, about Moses and how he said, "but I am only..." and he wasn't gifted the way he felt he should be. I was thinking about how some very good people appear to have few outward signs of gifts and others have gifts and don't believe in them or trust God, but thinking of Moses and how God said it's his power but since Moses kept worrying about his stutter, God said okay, I'll have Aaron be the speaker but you are still the leader. So I thought about fear and then this morning I turned on the radio and heard a sermon about not having fear, for God has given us x and x and "a sound mind". And then the pastor said he used to be afraid of speaking publicly and became nauseous from it but just did it anyway.

More recently, in the last few days, there have been more correlations of scripture with things I'm thinking about. So it's been interesting. I wrote about "Silence of the Lambs" for example and how I feel my torturers are like this Hannibal Lector and then I turned, after writing this, to a section about "He was led as a lamb to the slaughter.." and how it talks about Jesus, but referring to the scripture from the OT to apply to Jesus, about how he was "degraded" and "in his humiliation" he was treated or saved some.

Then, for a couple of days I kept getting scriptures about the old one being fertile. The same kind of scriptures about how the old one is the fertile one and I don't know what that's about exactly. I marked out the sections and let me find them. First I kept landing on sections about older women giving birth and then while thinking about this, I ended up on Psalm 92 about older women being fertile (on Friday 27th). The other passages were II Kings 4:14, "...she has no son and her husband is old." and Elisha says you will hold a baby in your arms next year and she says don't lie to me. Then it happens. There was one other passage and it was about an older woman or the old one being fertile...I was just trying to find the other section I had read and in so doing, came across 2 new passages on the same topic, within seconds. One about the old tree being cut down and how it will still put forth buds and branches. (Job 14). How the old tree can be cut down and still flourish again but if a man is dead, how shall he rise from the grave? (which is possibly why my family needs to have the UN intervene on CAT--convention against torture petition). After this I turned back and was trying to find the other section and instead I randomly landed on, next section, scripture about a king who was 80 years old and another king said come with us. He said, "I'm 80 years old! why should you want me to go with you in my old age?" and others questioned this and the king said, "this man is a close relative and why should we leave him behind?" (II Sam. 19:34 is what my eyes landed on). (at about 12:50 a.m. or something). Anyway, I can't find the one about the woman right now, the other passage about the same thing, and I know there are many examples (Sarah, etc) but I was wanting to find the exact passage it was. Right now I am hungry and need to have breakfast, or I guess it's lunch now.

Also, I read from the part about Elijah and Elisha and the coat that parted the waters and how Elisha was given a double portion of Elijah's spirit. and from the NT from Mark 3 about Jesus and Beelebub, when a lot of people accused Jesus saying "he is out of his mind." Jesus's own family was sent to "take care of" JESUS. They went to go get Jesus, a grown man, because people were saying, "He's out of his mind." So Jesus's mother and father went to "go get him" like they were his guardians (as if that's not humiliating). And all these pharisees (religious jewish leaders) were telling everyone, "Any 'miracle' that is being done through him is of evil spirits and the devil." and they were not even saying he was out of his mind but that he was "demon-possessed". Beelzebub is a name for "Prince of Demons".

So I guess I never thought of Jesus in that way, because not many pastors give a sermon about how Jesus became a ward of the court (in approximation) and entire communities told his parents to "come get him" and "take care of your mentally ill son".

If he wasn't being accused of being an alcoholic (wine-bibber, for having an occasional drink), or mentally ill, he was accused of being demon-possessed.

He would have been falsely arrested, sent to drug rehab without needing it, and put in a psych ward with the signature of his mom and dad. Most likely, the people who hated him most would have wanted him to be injected with Haldol.

No comments: