Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Releasing My Medical Information

Now that I think about it, it sounds like someone was telling my boyfriend what they planned to do with me at the hospital today. He told me over the phone this morning that someone said they were giving me an MRI for my back and doing some other things. This is not a big deal, but again I'm sort of peeved that anyone is discussing anything regarding my medical care with him. I have not consented to having him filled in on all my medical details and it's not in accordance with HIPPA to give any information out at ALL. He is not my husband, he is my boyfriend, and any conversation regarding MY healthcare should be with ME or at least with me present so I may object if information is being released which I don't want released. What else did they tell him?

What I CHOOSE to tell him is one thing. What I CHOOSE to write in my blog is one thing. But I am the ONE who DECIDES what information I want to give out.

Maybe HE doesn't know because he's from Colombia and doesn't know the laws. But everyone else around here SHOULD know the laws and respect my privacy. I've already had the message go out at least THREE times that I didn't want my boyfriend to be kept abreast of my care. He can go to ME to find out how I'm doing, not the doctors and nurses. I'm seriously getting pissed.

Then this discharge nurse came in, who was very nice, and talked about some things, but I was suprised and said I didn't think I was being discharged because my pain was still exactly the same or worse and no one had figured out what the problem was, and I hadn't had an MRI for the back either. This stomach and back pain are not normal and if I thought I could wait to see a PCP, I wouldn't have gone to ER with my boyfriend when the Percocet didn't even help with the pain. I am in a lot of pain and I shouldn't be.

When my boyfriend answered my call this morning, he asked if I was going to be in the hospital all day and I said I supposed so. Then he wanted to know the name of my doctor for today. Which I'm wondering about now. Why does he need to know the name of my doctor and how does he know doctors can change from day to day?

No comments: