Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Decided On What To Do With Degree

I have made up my mind.

If I can, I am going to do something I was too conservative and afraid to consider before. I'm going to do what I want to do! and what is practical right now.

I was only thinking "english lit" because it's a good, solid, traditional degree. then I considered nursing because there are a lot of jobs and I could do a good job of this. But right now, if i'm just finishing my B.A., and not even going for M.A. or other work yet, the best and most fun way to finish up would be to go with a school that allows me to design my own major independently.

In this case, it's usually just some liberal arts degree which I never liked the sound of before, but to finish here, with specific English Lit. requirements when I'm not even near a university is impractical and unrealistic.

So I think I can pick and choose whatever classes I want to finish up. Writing, music appreciation, art, whatever I want and I think I could find something that will accomodate science from a literary standpoint too.

Really, I would choose to finish a B.A. in English Literature but right now that seems impractical as there is no program. I might still apply to one place and see about it, through online work, but I am also going to look at the degrees for independents and usually it's honors programs and I think I could squeeze in, maybe.
**********
The only part that holds me back is that there is less funding after the first B.A. is received. I want a double major. Or just two. I would like to finish my English Lit while working on pre-reqs for nursing so I have a trade back-up and then I could also have options for graduate work, even law (or creative writing) or whatever. I could do a couple things tandem. I wonder how I could work that though.

I would have to go to college here locally and I don't know if one is allowed to split the money up between places but maybe with some of the loans to live off of, i could do that.

I am definitely interested in the nursing still and teaching, but just going to apply at this point.

There is a lot of free money for nursing.

Actually, one probably doesn't even need to take out many loans with all the free money that comes with nursing programs.

The biggest problem has been location here. Otherwise I would have finished my degree a long time ago. But the options have been slim.

I might still look into nursing simply because I know I could do it. I would be a good lawyer but not sure I want to go this route. Mainly, I want a B.A. in English Lit. in the classical, traditional sense, but it's not possible here. I put out a note to speak with someone from my old college. I think I need to track down this one woman who was helping me out on this a lot when others were more difficult to deal with.

Today I also applied and inquired about places to rent and there are some options. The problem is transportation to visit them but I am lining it up and made a call about that.

No comments: