Monday, April 26, 2010

Visit With My Son--Buying Freedom

Today I went to the pet store because I had buying a bunny for my son in mind. Then I decided I didn't know if he'd be able to keep it because I hadn't checked with the Avilas.

However, I left and then I went back and got the bunny with the idea that I knew my son would LOVE playing with the bunny and that I would have to give it away after letting him play with it so I planned on giving it away to another child or to set it free. I had the idea in my mind that it is symbolic of buying someone's freedom or being willing to do something with nothing in return. And I figured, $15.12 (that's what it was with tax included) is an okay price to pay for making my son happy, like it was a petting zoo, for a couple of hours. I also figured I could then check with my aunt and uncle and if it's okay, go ahead and get one for him to keep.

For some reason I knew I was supposed to buy that bunny and then set it free, because I had a bad feeling when I didn't and I felt relieved when I did buy it, even knowing I would be just buying it out of a cage.

When I saw him, he didn't look good. He'd been starting to look better but I noticed that it was very strange someone had abused my son. This week, I brought up a skin condition I have to someone, which isn't contagious at all, but I brought it up and this woman said, "Eczema" but it wasn't that. Then I see my son today and he had eczema and he has NEVER had this and there is no history of it in my family.

I find it strange that some woman is assuming I have eczema after I brought up how doctors here didn't treat me and my son for something in particular, and then this is the first week that my son shows up with a spot near his lip and also on his arm and other places, of what appears to be eczema or something else.

His eyes also looked totally bloodshot, or like he had dark circles underneath.

So anyway, he was so sad to let it go and wanted to take it with him but I explained at the end, that I would check to see if he could have a bunny but sometimes it's just like a petting zoo and we can play with them for awhile. I said maybe another time I could bring something else, like a turtle, or a...and he nodded enthusiastically and said, "A turtle!"

I also asked him in the visit if he wanted to keep it or set it free to go play with the other bunnies and he said he wanted to set it free to play with the other bunnies.

The thing I felt bad about, was setting a civilized and tame bunny out into the wild but I felt it was what I was supposed to do in this instance, not to put it in harms way but to represent giving someone a chance outside of a prison (of any kind). So I looked for a place and thought I would set it out near this place I used to live near and then just drove and finally I sensed an area but there wasn't visible water. Still, I figured, the way I'm monitored, someone else will come along and take the bunny, or it will thrive. I put it out near tender grass blades in a pretty area and I felt better seeing that there were other rabbit droplings there, so thought it would have company.

Of course, driving away, all these people were driving out there, so I'm sure someone else picked it up. But I didn't feel worried, maybe because I sensed someone would get it or that it would be happier and safe. I saw myself and my son in that bunny--and while I don't think there's harm in having pets, as we watched it and chased it around and observed, I knew this is exactly what my son and I are like--animals under surveillance and we are not free to be together and do what we like, nor are we free from harm.

I picked it out from a batch of 5 which were tame. I chose it because of all the other kinds, it was least expensive and they had the best personalities for kids, even if a "mixed" breed and not purebred something or other. I went by personality and suitability for children.

When we drove off, I saw a sign I never noticed before and it said, "The British Car Ranch". I said, to the guy driving, "What's that supposed to mean? british CAR ranch?" and had never seen or noticed it before.

I still think I will get him his own bunny (same batch) if he can have one, but I felt I was supposed to let this one go free for some reason.

So, as soon as my son saw this bunny, he was thrilled! so very happy and he didn't look like he'd had a good week either. That was obvious. I could tell from the sound of my uncle's voice that something was wrong too.

My son is not being protected and it's not my aunt and uncle's fault either.

At any rate, we had a wonderful visit, and I brought him eggs, six of them, to crack open and then empty and fill with seeds and soil and then I put them in the basket with the 2 eggs I already had which were already sprouting. So there ended up being 8 altogether, which I didn't think about, and they all fit in this basket. My son enjoyed doing this.

We also really had a great time with the bunny. It was a lot of fun and he was very good with it. They were all plain grey bunnies. Very sweet. Almost the entire visit was about handling of the bunny. He loved it as did I.

Then I read all the Thomas books to him, almost all of them. I let him keep one with stickers.

I gave him a kiss at one point and said, "I love you Oliver" and he said, "I love you too Mama."

No comments: