Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fergie's Interview with Oprah

Like I said, even when I try, I can't get away from it.

I had no idea Fergie was going to talk to Oprah today. I spent the day, my son's birthday, when he turned 5, thinking of my son and shopping for him and then doing some work for getting forensic evaluation of "real", bona fide torture. I then went to the gym, to eat, at about 3:30 or so and the next thing I knew, I was walking back to the ladies room, where the t.v. was on and who is there?

Fergie.

I did a double-take. And Oprah.

At it was right at the start and I didn't plan it, at 4 p.m. So I figured, "I guess there was a reason for me to watch."

And there was.

It was to discover that I dislike Oprah as much as I thought I had before, only the last time I thought I didn't like her, she was getting very heavy on the sarcasm about how "Princess" (the star of that movie) was "the real princess" and she was steaming mad about something.

Oprah is not "catholic" or "jewish" but she's certaintly not a genuine Protestant christian either.

And one of the most ironic moments in my sit-down to watch this, was an exchange that I had with a black woman who was also sitting down to watch. She and I talked nail polish and salons and then, right after the first segment, I said to her, "Do you know what I notice? Sarah looks so vulnerable and Oprah is anything but vulnerable and there seems to be an inequity in their relationship." I added, "I feel like Oprah is taking advantage of her."

Then, the very next thing that came on the show, was Sarah talking about how she sought approval and she is talking with Dr. Phil. He tells her she is susceptible to seeking the approval of, and not guarding herself from 'jerk journalists' and I thought, "I can't believe it. Sarah is actually agreeing that she has a tendency to trust the wrong people and seek their approval, and knows she makes herself vulnerable and here she is on Oprah's show, allowing herself to be exploited."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy...you had me
...until you started spewing your religion!