Sunday, May 22, 2011

Scriptures

Some things I've read...

I have read more from the Old Testament lately because I know the New Testament extremely well already. So someone mentioned reading this section more and I thought I would since they go together and I've relearned some things.

1. The Red Sea and The Jordan.
I had thought God just parted the Red Sea. But there is story of how the Jordan was parted as well. The priests who carried the Ark were told to go to the river and stand up to their knees in the river and that then the waters were going to pool up in another area and the land become dry and people would cross.

2. A Conquest Involving Request of 1 Earring.
There was a conquest where it was asked that 1 earring from each person be donated as part of the plunder. Judges 8:22, "The Israelites said to Gideon, "Rule over us--you, your son and your grandson--because you have saved us out of the hand of Midian."
"But Gideon told them, "I will not rule over you, nor will my son rule over you. The Lord will rule over you." And he said, "I do have one request, that each of you give me an earring from your share of the plunder." (It was the cusom of the Ishmaelites to wear gold earrings.) They answered, "We'll be glad to give them." So they spread out a garment and each man threw a ring from his plunder into it."

3. Gideon. In general, I read, from Judges 6:11-24 where the angel visits Gideon, to the part where Gideon asks for a sign and get one.

4. Child King Hidden. Then I broke off and read from Judges 8:1-21. Another story about a child that hid when others were killed and then resurfaced. I read this while lying on the grass outside. I first read Hezekiah again, about the battles he won and then I turned and read this story. It was a nice evening last night, as I sat on the grass in the humidity, and I picked out a clover from the grass, the white and light green and tan and pink tinted clover and noticed all the insects. Some kind of flying insect with little cream dots on tan wings that sort of matched the tank top I had on and also matched the tan in the clover. And I noticed little spiders, and bees, different kinds, ants, and a lady bug that flew over and away before I could count the spots. It was the story of Jotham, the youngest son of Gideon (also called Jerub-baal) and he ran up to, climbed to the top of a mountain and shouted to them, and then after giving his speech, he ran off again (for the moment) because he was afraid of his brother.

5. A section about "Listen to me!" "Listen to me!" (I think from Leviticus, will have to find it again).

6. Moses and Aaron ask for signs. Numbers. Read about how the people kept grumbling and sometimes trying to take over because they didn't have faith. And the sign after sign after sign that came, from the censors, and how over and over they "fell facedown" and asked God for help. Which, I hadn't thought of, as something they did, to fall facedown all the time. But they did. I read about the budding of the staff of Aaron, which was to indicate he was the one God chose, out of all the other names written on the staffs to symbolize heads of tribes. And I read through to the water from the rock.

My Bible is marked with honeysuckle at Esther 2-4, with a wheat like piece of grass that has 5 fronds, for Gideon, about the Ephod and the earrings. I have a black string at Numbers 18-20, which I had to tear off of my charger because it got tangled up and then it was on the table and I decided to use it for a bookmark. My clover is pressed out on the pages of 2 Chronicles 31:2-33:2. The story of Hezekiah, trusting in God.

7. I read these other ones mainly yesterday and today I read from Leviticus about offerings and sacrifices. From Leviticus 6 approx to the Ordination of Aaron and then some section somewhere about ashes and then then about working on the Sabbath and how someone was gathering wood and I thought, "This is why it was such a big deal for jesus to even heal on the Sabbath."

No comments: